ZGainsforth

Dynamic layer thickness

I believe print quality can be tremendously improved (it is already quite nice) with a dynamic layer thickness algorithm. If implemented correctly, it would make the tops and bottoms of curves look much closer to the quality we see on the sides of objects, without having to draw an entire object with ultra fine layers.

It would work like this: the slicer examines the slope of the model surface at each point and computes the local layer thickness as a function of local slope.

Thus, when printing a ball, for instance, the bottom and top of the ball may have 0.1 mm thickness layers, while the center may have 0.3. The user would define a maximum thickness (e.g. 0.3mm), a minimum (0.1mm) and the software would use some algorithm to interpolate. As a simple example, we could start with a sine function with the angle measured as degrees from vertical:

Layer thickness = sin(angle) * (max-min) + min.

For a more complicated shape, like for example a thumbs up, each z-height would be drawn with variable thickness. The center of the thumb would be drawn at the same z-height as the top of the curled index finger. But the side of the thumb is a vertical wall and would look fine with thick layers, but the top of the curled index finger is nearly horizontal and would benefit from thinner layers. So the extruder would extrude one 0.3 mm layer around the thumb, and then draw three 0.1mm layers on the index finger before going back to the thumb and drawing another 0.3mm layer.
studiodyne

Re: Dynamic layer thickness

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!

For example , in the case of a roof , if we want a pyramidal roof of ' 1 or 2 ' millimeter , the printer will print some upstair with the layer size defined in the factory ... if dynamic , the layer size will decrease just when needed .

Of course , we can make it by create many processes , but , if possible to have it .... with , just one clic

So + 1 !
Fred B

Here's what I'm thinking

Assumptions:
Use the same angle measurement method already implemented for supports.
The layer change would be non-linear (angle changes near vertical have major effect while changes near horizontal have a minimal effect)
Layer thickness would be based on the most horizontal angle for that layer.
Sparse support/infill (printing every other layer) is likely going to need to be turned off to simplify calculations

User inputs:
1) maximum thickness (for vertical areas)
2) minimum thickness (for horizontal areas)
3) resolution (step between layer thickness changes ".01mm" or ".05mm" etc.) I'm thinking this would effect slicer speeds.

Questions:
1) Would it be useful to have the print speed vary with the layer thickness? (speed up thin layers slightly?)
2) Could thickness be displayed by color? (in the print display)

2)
bray.christopher

I think this is worth looking into.
Cosineadditive

Would love to see this, especially as we run dual extruders of different nozzle sizes.
dekaminski

+1
We have been working with same old G-code process for too long!
DBFIU

I would love to see this.
AK_Eric

+1 : Would be a great addition
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
rolfmeijer

+1 This would be a great feature
didymus

+1 for me too!

I think this could be a really *killer* piece of functionality that sets Simplify3d well apart from the other tools out there.... I also agree with the previous poster that it would be great to have the ability to influence the speed too.

Pretty please :)

Return to “Feature Requests”