bobpellegrino

Print subset of model

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Note: this feature is not covered by the "Start Printing at xx mm" functionality.

If I wish to fine tune the settings for a particular portion of the model, it would be useful to say: Start printing at layer # x and stop printing at layer y".

For example, in debugging a church steeple I want to test certain settings for just the steeple portion without printing the entire church. I tried using the "Start printing at..." feature, but that starts the steeple printing in mid-air. Also, the units should be the actual layer number, not a height in mm. Even in the context of the current functionality, specifying the height in mm seems odd and inaccurate when the operational context is always about specific layers.

So to summarize: Select a section of the model, have it drop that section to the printer bed level, print just that portion.

JoeJ

Re: Print subset of model

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Just drop the model below the build platform. For example, let's say you only want to print part of your model between 50 and 70mm. Double-click on the part and decrease the Z offset by 50mm so that 50mm of the part is below the build platform. That way the software won't print that portion. Then go to the Advanced tab and tell it to stop printing at 20mm. That will print only the region from 50 to 70mm.

bobpellegrino

Re: Print subset of model

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:44 pm

That's a great tip, thank you.

It was not at all obvious that this was possible, so it may still be worth adding it explicitly to the appropriate area of the UI at some point.

Return to “Feature Requests”