bobpellegrino

Print out Process Settings

It would be great if I could print out the complete set of process settings that I use for a model. When I am trying to get something to work I print a series of models and then stick them to index cards with what I think are the relevant process settings jotted down. It helps me to understand interactions that can be complex and unanticipated. Having the ability to just print out all the values would save time and be more complete.
AK_Eric

Re: Print out Process Settings

+1
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
BuckeyeVolunteer

+2
loftonharris

Before thinking it just might be possible (with the S3D gods' agreement) to print process settings, I created a form to use to record settings for any given print. Great idea, but as we used to say back home, that dog just wouldn't hunt. Too much trouble to write everything down. Having a utility to do this from S3D would be awesome.
AK_Eric

It dawned on me that S3D stores all this stuff in the header of the gcode files it writes out. So technically it's not too hard to go in there and copy\paste into some other app.

That being said, it'd be nice to have a feature that says, writes this out as .csv to be brought into a spreadsheet doc.
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
bapro

By using import fff settings and selecting the gcode file you will import all the settings you had for that print.
Maybe not what you had in mind, but you don´t have to create a document for your details, just know the name of it´s gcode file.
loftonharris

bapro: your suggestion is not useful. Yes, if we save a factory file for each print we can import it. Duh. That's what the feature is for.

But to create a document showing specific settings for a given print...that's useful for learning options for settings relative to printed output. I'm an old guy who likes to relate results to real data rather than keep futzing around with files whose names do not describe contents. I've spent alot of time trying to extract settings from a gcode file produced by S3D. The output format does not support this. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. It's easy to write a macro that extracts and formats information from a file, if the file can be opened using normal software. I've had some luck importing files into Cura and producing usable gcode files, and then producing settings, but that's a true PITA (and I'm not talking flatbread here).

Now, if you work for S3D, please go to your boss and admit you shut down a very reasonable request from people who have paid good money for S3D. If you don't work for S3D, then kindly step aside. You don't get it. User requirements are not intended to be the basis for counter-offensive actions by vendors.
bapro

loftonharris wrote:bapro: your suggestion is not useful. Yes, if we save a factory file for each print we can import it. Duh. That's what the feature is for.

But to create a document showing specific settings for a given print...that's useful for learning options for settings relative to printed output. I'm an old guy who likes to relate results to real data rather than keep futzing around with files whose names do not describe contents. I've spent alot of time trying to extract settings from a gcode file produced by S3D. The output format does not support this. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. It's easy to write a macro that extracts and formats information from a file, if the file can be opened using normal software. I've had some luck importing files into Cura and producing usable gcode files, and then producing settings, but that's a true PITA (and I'm not talking flatbread here).

Now, if you work for S3D, please go to your boss and admit you shut down a very reasonable request from people who have paid good money for S3D. If you don't work for S3D, then kindly step aside. You don't get it. User requirements are not intended to be the basis for counter-offensive actions by vendors.
I´m not working for S3D, just had an idea of how you could re-create your settings for a particular print in the easiest way.
If you rather like to have a doc. thats fine with me. I just tryed to help :|
mwagman

I am using my printer and software as a tool in my research, so I also have a need to easily print out all process settings, or else to export them in a form that is compatible with an application like Excel. That way I can include those settings in my research documentation (for example, electronic lab notebook), as well as easily compare settings to understand the effect of specific changes.
CompoundCarl

The settings that you use for a print are already stored in the top of the gcode file. So you can always go back and look at an old print to see what settings you used. It also looks like it's a pretty simple comma delimited format, so I'm sure you could easily import it into Excel :D

Return to “Feature Requests”