jfkansas

Different Filament diameters on Left and right.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:06 pm

It seems to me or am I just missing it. The filament diameter is being set in the "Other" tab one time, however it is possible that 2 different filament diameters are going to be used. My support filament is 1.75, but the primary filament is 1.65 in this case. Quite a bit of difference.

So the feature request is to move the filament diameter, cost and density to the extruder pane so it can be set per extruder.

Second related request would be to calculate filament cost and usage separately for the left vs right extruder. Of course this only affects dual extruder capable machines which a lot are not. But for the ones that are I would like to know my actual filament cost for the supports, and actual cost for the part. Actually to go a step further, if only using one extruder, I would like to be able see how much the filament costs for the actual part and how much filament is being used for support and the cost.

JoeJ

Re: Different Filament diameters on Left and right.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:59 am

You might want to read this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3718&p=16304#p16283

Just set the filament diameter on the Other tab to 1.75mm, and then enter an extrusion multiplier of 1.125 for your 1.65mm extruder (the link explains why you do this)

jfkansas

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:06 am

Ya I am sure you could do some volume compensation with the multiplier as a work around. That is different than a feature request.

The feature request is to separate out the Filament diameter/price/density for each extruder. In this case my support material costs 2x as much as the primary filament. So the feature request goes beyond the extrusion multiplier setting.

JoeJ

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 am

I'm sure the s3d people will see your feature request. Just trying to help in case you were stuck :D

jfkansas

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:58 am

No not really stuck, thanks. Just working this the other way. The primary filament diamter is going to be 1.65. That means I would be over extruding the supports, so will set the multiplier on the support extruder to around .84 or so since I usually have the primary extruder set to .94.

I am actually surprised the program is built with the Filament diameter on an "Other" tab. Setting Filament diameters and calibrating extrusion volume is more important than having as "other". Almost like an after thought, like Oh maybe we should add that....

jeevesme@hotmail.com

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:13 pm

+1

This was going to be one of my feature requests. The options for using dual extruders are minimal.

CompoundCarl

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:38 am

You can already use different filament diameters for each extruder since they offer a unique extrusion multiplier for each one. I already do this on one of my homemade printers. See the link JoeJ posted above.

MHC

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:38 pm

+1 on setting the filament parameters per extruder.

Whilst it can be worked around (i.e. fudged) using the Extrusion Multiplier, that is counterintuitive and it would be easy to forget or miscalculate.

As a newbie trying out S3D, specifically for dual extrusion, I am surprised that this isn't available, especially since the free slicers are able to do it.

Return to “Feature Requests”