rdupre

Re: Sequential printing for multiple objects

+1 for me too
S3D-Jason

lutorm wrote:Even worse, it appears that if you have multiple processes per object, it's not even possible to print sequentially across the process change. It appears it will order the processes by z-height before applying the sequential printing clearance height, ie if I have:

Object 1: Process 1 from z=0 to z=1, Process 2 from z=1 to z=2.
Object 2: Process 3 from z=0 to z=1, Process 4 from z=1 to z=2.

If you attempt to print this sequentially, it appears it will ALWAYS print the processes in order 1324, even if the clearance height is >2. Arguably, the order should be to go down the process list until the clearance height is hit, not order by z-start and then process list.
Just wanted to make sure you knew that this has been improved in Version 4.0. If you configure multiple processes for the same model, you can now use sequential printing to continue printing that same model, even as you switch between different processes.
Jeremykeen

+1
Also, when an object cannot be completed entirely without going to another object, there is a slight crack where the printing resumed. It is as if the tolerance is off ever so slightly. Any pointers?
pmeyer

+1 I'm on 4.0. When I want to print 10 items sequentially, all with exactly the same process, it is amazingly painful. Get the process right, duplicate it 9 times, then assign each to one object. Then use trial and error to get the printing order correct (left front to back right to avoid collisions). There is an option for "clearance height", but no comprehension of head geometry and which objects can be printed without colliding with others. You simply have to set clearance height very high and manually arrange things.

How this has last so long as a major deficit baffles me. This was available long ago in Cura.
PowerScissor

Well, it's almost 2018 and I just spent 5 hours trying to get sequential printing to work...nope. Duplicating the process is a "workaround", not a solution....and if you want to print a build plate of 50 flat washers...good luck with that. I find myself using free software WAY MORE than I use what I paid $150 for because of tedious things like this...
PowerScissor

I gave this another try today, and still very disappointed. There 100% should be an option to print all 1st layers, and then move to sequential printing...as the last model of 12 didn't stick to the bed properly so I had to cancel the print or else it would just shoot spaghetti all over for the rest of that model...so I wasted printing 4mm of 11 models. The 1st layer should print so you can verify they all took...then start printing sequentially. This would save a lot of frustration.
choadalish

Agree with the rest on this post. Sequential printing is a real challenge when you have a bed of many of the same parts. And then next to impossible to have in the right order. Any way we might get this change prioritized?
Ret

This would surely be helpful. Especially if one of the items fails, it doesn't fail the whole batch(on smaller items),
+1
kkesler

Major +1 on this request.
Poor handling of sequential printing is why I won't currently recommend that anyone pay for Simplify3D.
Not being able to just use one process, having to manually assign which object prints from which process, and no helpful print order tools make using Simplify3D a huge waste of time for this type of print.
Once these issues are addressed, adding a feature like mentioned above where you can choose a number of layers (say 1 or 2) to print for all objects then switch to sequential printing would also be helpful.
rrdavis

kkesler wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pmno helpful print order tools
Just to mention it, their last release added the ability to use drag-and-drop reordering for sequential prints. I've been using it to customize the printing order of multiple parts and it works quite well.

There's a clip of it on their release notes page:
https://www.simplify3d.com/software/rel ... ion-4-0-0/

Return to “Feature Requests”