inventabuild

Ooze Shield Is Printed In Wrong Order

I'm using the Scripts / Layer Change Script tab to purge some filament with high extrusion rate off the side of the bed in between layers and I have a slow Ooze Shield around my part to catch drips from the purge and equalize pressure again in the bowden tube. The problem is the Ooze Shield prints before my off-the-bed-purge which means S3D is having the Ooze Shield print before the Layer Change Script prints. This order of printing totally destroys all the benefits of the Ooze Shield for my process.

For my process to work I need my gcode in the Layer Change Script tab to print before the Ooze Shield on the next layer print. You are not really letting us control what happens in between layers if you have the Ooze Shield print before the gcode in the Layer Change Script tab.
TrevorPhilips

Re: Ooze Shield Is Printed In Wrong Order

Ooze shield doestn work with multiple tools properly and neither does prime pillars.
My solution: manually add purge or "waste" models (squares etc) north of the actual model for every tool and mark the "print islands sequentially without optimization" option.

inventabuild

I believe "print islands sequentially without optimization" is exactly what I was looking, awesome, thank you.
inventabuild

Hmmm. I used Tools / Dual Extrusion Wizard to create a Dual Extrusion Group (Color 1 and Color 2) so the two pieces of my part are mated properly and can be moved around a single unit on the build platform. Then I loaded two separate prime pillars created in Inventor, one for each extruder and assigned a color to each one. I checked "print islands sequentially without optimization" for both extruders, but S3D will jump from color 1 to color 2 within the part before going to either prime pillar, so it's going to mix colors within the part. Any idea how to get it to jump from the part to a prime pillar every time before printing the next color?
inventabuild

I even ungrouped my dual extrusion part and created four separate (ungrouped) new processes. S3D will not print the processes in order 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Instead it prints the processes in order 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, etc. From everything I've tried S3D will not print parts in the order I specified. I'm wondering if it's broken or just flawed in how it works or maybe both.
TrevorPhilips

So you are having two tools, or extruders, right?

You need just two processes, one for each extruder.
Now, on each process you must select the model you want for the tool AND the purge/waste model.
Pictures will tell you more:
TrevorPhilips

Also remember to check the "Continuous printing - Layer by layer"
And did you place the wastemodels north of the actual object? (not sure if this is necessary, thats how it works in Repetier though)
KC_703

Have you tried the "Extra Restart Distance" parameter in the extruder tab? Specifying a value will prime the tool before printing the ooze shield... possibly negating the need your custom script.

The other thing to try is to also enable the "Prime Pillar". The pillar will print before the ooze shield after the tool change. Set the pillar size to whatever you need to even out your bowden pressure.

These feature work on my dual extrusion printer. I can't validate for the diamond or more three or more tools... which seems to be what the picture is showing above.

Regardless, try the built in functions to prime the tool before printing... I think they serve the same function as the custom script. Use the simulation function in the print preview to validate.
inventabuild

TrevorPhilips wrote:So you are having two tools, or extruders, right?

You need just two processes, one for each extruder.
Now, on each process you must select the model you want for the tool AND the purge/waste model.
Pictures will tell you more:
Yes, I tried just two processes also and checked "Continuous printing - Layer by layer". Going into Prepare to Print! and viewing the tool path S3D does not cycle through the parts correctly if you look at enough layers. It will not continuously cycle correctly like the following illustration if Part1 and Part2 are both part of the same part (meaning a Dual Extrusion part):

PrimePillar1, Part1, PrimePillar2, Part2, PrimePillar1 Part1, PrimePillar2, Part2, etc,

S3D needs to fix this so the user can determine the order of parts to print.
inventabuild

KC_703 wrote:Have you tried the "Extra Restart Distance" parameter in the extruder tab? Specifying a value will prime the tool before printing the ooze shield... possibly negating the need your custom script.

The other thing to try is to also enable the "Prime Pillar". The pillar will print before the ooze shield after the tool change. Set the pillar size to whatever you need to even out your bowden pressure.

These feature work on my dual extrusion printer. I can't validate for the diamond or more three or more tools... which seems to be what the picture is showing above.

Regardless, try the built in functions to prime the tool before printing... I think they serve the same function as the custom script. Use the simulation function in the print preview to validate.
My S3D settings are extruding the correct amount of filament w/out Extra Restart Distance so giving that a positive value would cause too much filament to be extruded. I'm trying to speed up the purging process of purging the old color out of the Cyclops hot end before starting the new color so I'm extruding at maximum speed off the side of the bed and then slowing down for the Ooze shield to reduce pressure in the bowden tube.

Prime Pillar is a good option since it prints before the Ooze Shield. I tried a 5 skirt outline to keep my 5 mm prime pillar down on the build plate but it came loose as it got taller so I'll have to up the skirt outlines and see how it goes (I only needed a 5 mm Prime Pillar to satisfy my filament purge requirements since the Ooze Shield also helped with the purge). The other thing is I'm not sure I can extrude to print a small prime pillar with good results as fast as I can extrude off the side of the bed, but only experimentation will bear that out. I suppose if necessary, I can put the Prime Pillar in the code and then replace it with my purge code using the "Additional terminal commands for post processing" section in the Scripts tab, but that's a lot of work for each different part because the prime pillar changes from part to part.

Still, back to my original point, in my opinion S3D should put the Layer Change code before the Ooze Shield code.

I appreciate the help!

Return to “Feature Requests”