EOW

Re: Add accel and jerk settings for accurate build time calc.

Thanks arhi for gcodestat, i tried it and compare to real print time, S3D says 29min, gcodestat 39min and real is 40min including heating. I will continue to test it on my future print but is a nice feature. I like the fact it computes only at saving step like this it does not affect the slicing time.
arhi

EOW wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:02 am Thanks arhi for gcodestat, i tried it and compare to real print time, S3D says 29min, gcodestat 39min and real is 40min including heating. I will continue to test it on my future print but is a nice feature. I like the fact it computes only at saving step like this it does not affect the slicing time.
that's pretty accurate considering heating is not something I can guestimate :D

anyhow I created a separate topic for this so the info is aggregated and not spread trough topics around the forum
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10281
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
dumitrug

Great application. Finally, something that estimates time really close to the truth.
However, I am facing a little issue: the --alert box does not show.
Running the .bat from command prompt does work and displays the alert box, but the S3D is not displaying it.
Anyone having the same issue?
inventabuild

arhi wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:52 am
...edit gs.bat to be like this (this configuration does not upload file to octoprint, if you want to automatically upload to octoprint leave the api and url thing as original just change api and url values):

Code: Select all

@echo off

for %%a in (%1) do (
    set filepath=%%~dpa
    set filename=%%~na
    set extension=%%~xa
)   
set if=%filepath%%filename%%extension%
set of=%filepath%%filename%_M117%extension%

C:\gcodestat\gcodestat.exe --alert -d 0.02 -a 1000 --gcode="%if%" --output="%of%" 

save your profile and that's it...
It's not working for me yet. It looks like all you did is delete "--output="%of%" --api_key=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA --api_url="http://octopi.local/api/files/local" from gs.bat. I tried leaving it in and deleting it to no avail.

I added the line "c:\gcodestat\gs.bat "[output_filepath]" to s3d's add'l terminal commands. Is there someplace else where I need to create a path that points to something?
inventabuild

It's working! Not sure what happened before, but I closed S3D, then noticed an icon in my task bar, opened it up and there was the print time pop up you referenced.

I reopened S3D, saved another print job and now the pop up is displayed every time. Not sure why it didn't come to the forefront the first time, but now it's working like a charm.

Wow, S3D gave me print time est of 2 hrs 46 minutes and your app is saying 4:07:45 so actual print time is 48% longer than the S3D estimate. That sucks pretty bad. I hope their up and coming (soon???) to be released update addresses this issue and uses your app or comes up w/ a homegrown solution that really works this time.
arhi

inventabuild wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:55 pm Wow, S3D gave me print time est of 2 hrs 46 minutes and your app is saying 4:07:45 so actual print time is 48% longer than the S3D estimate.
set the real acceleration value to the app to get more accurate estimate
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
ryinseattle

Print time estimates

It would be nice to have a section in each printer profile to input additional move settings such as jerk, acceleration, etc. in order to allow S3D to provide more accurate print time estimates.
GrahamGunderson

From a software perspective it seems the way to fix this is right in the Machine Control Panel -> Communication tab, where it's easy to see Gcode being sent and the printer replying. Motional Gcode has two durations:

1) The estimated duration, based on assumptions within S3D / configuration settings in a future UI (including jerk, acceleration, and so on)
2) The physical duration, the measured interval between command transmission and the printer's reply that the command has completed.

The physical duration is easy to measure with a system timer in the application. We should find that for a given model of printer, the projected and actual ETAs exhibit a fairly consistent slope and offset (just your simple y=mx+b), the average values will allow S3D to let the printer itself calibrate the build time estimate.

This way S3D would automatically become increasingly accurate with further use, even if the user or novice doesn't get deep into jerk and acceleration settings. The printer is already telling us how long it takes to execute instructions, so even if we treat the printer as a black box whose inner details are unknown, accurate projections can always be made.

That would be a great product differentiation in my opinion, since the solution is fully automatic and print time estimates are super important for power users (which I think are S3D's userbase).
chrismargab

Hello arhi,
Thank you very much for your program sources. I tried to compile it but without success. I get the message "error: passing argument 1 to restrict-qualified parameter aliases with argument 4" 5 times in the gcodestat file, and I have to compile with the option "NOCURL = 1" because even when installing MinGW from several sources, none contains the "curl" library. Can you give me the download links for the correct software versions to work with your sources? I am working with Eclipse 4.17.0 and MinGW-w64.
Thank you in advance.

Return to “Feature Requests”