benmartz

Re: Default Feed Rate and Maximum Feed Rate

I too would like to see this implemented. Maximum feed rate is important to me. There are too many circumstances where gcode is generated that exceeds my maximum feed rate and it causes nasty print quality issues. The software doesn't help me so I'm forced to empirically reduce my default print speed until the print completes successfully without extruder skipping.

IMO the software should be able to model and output gcode to maintain the feed rate within a user-configured range.
Create58

For months I have been battling with my extruder occasionally clicking during specific portions of a print (typically where there are along straight lines and the movement gets up to max speed), and ruining the print. I have root caused it to being due to the volumetric limits of the extruder- the exact issue that this thread is all about.
I just found the thread, but it seems to be nearly dead with no response from Simplify3D. Why not? Please help! This would be a fantastic improvement to the software. Not only to make it easier to use, but also to improve the performance-- right now I have to set the default printing speed really low in order to account for the very worse-case speed scenario that could ever occur during a print. Typically this only happens occasionally, on certain prints- such as the long thick lines on a big raft. But then the entire rest of the print suffers from a overly low print speed. As others have mentioned, if only we had an extra setting for "Maximum Extrusion Feed Rate". Then during print moves that do not hit that limit, it could move the machine quickly (closer to the machine's travel speed limits). Only during moves that would hit the extrusion limit would it reduce the machine travel speed. This would greatly improve speed performance and reduce the very frustrating scenario we have now where prints seem to be going fine until it hits the extruder limit, and then the print is ruined.

In my case, I had already battled with this issue months ago, and finally settled on an artificially low default printing speed for ABS. This was working (albeit with less than optimal speed) until more recently, when I switched to PETG. For PETG, I adjusted all the settings (including an even lower default printing speed), and got it to print well most of the time. But because PETG requires more heat, occasionally the extruder's volumetric limit is hit (this happens behind the scenes so it is hard to know when it is going to happen), and I don't know it until the middle of a print when I hear clicking.
smeagollum

+1
To have some upper limit defined by a known feed rate parameter that would always trump any other settings would be very useful. This is something taht is also present in some free slicers.
sourceminer

I could not agree more. Being new to the space of 3D printing I have found it extremely frustrating in the quality of the prints coming from a program I paid 150 bucks for. Especially having a kind of partnership with Flashforge. My 160 dollar Monoprice Mini and Cura printed fine!

The Name of the product is very misleading in my opinion. Its anything BUT simple... So much wasted filament due to all the fine tuning needing to be done. Seems I have discovered that is mostly do to the amount of Feed Rate being incorrect or flawed.
DobraHaus

I have a Monoprice Select Mini and ran the default settings in the software. Printed very nice. Fine tuning from there gets the job done nicely. Too many people are quick to jump to what the issue is when it could be a ton of different things. Bad filament, poor leveling, poor maintenance, lack of modeling skills, lack of programming skills. Even lack of patience and an unwillingness to put in the time it takes to learn and put in the hours required. Don't blame the software. The software is excellent. My two cents.
Phoenix

Bumoing this to say, Repitier implements this (although clumsily) and it absolutely works. I still use repetier for difficult materials just for this one feature. Its mind boggling this has not been implemented yet. (It would be best if this was done on a per material basis not global as each material is different, which is where repitier got it wrong)
zemlin

Personally I get annoyed by software that places arbitrary limits on what you can do under the premise that software folks know what you want to do better than you do. If there's going to be an "AUTO" mode implemented, please make sure there's a check box to turn it off, because that's likely the first thing I'll do and the last time I'll look at it.
Dean

This is even more important when you start printing with flexible filaments like TPU which require slow feed rates. At the moment there is no way to set a maximum feed rate limit
gruvin

+1 for me

Also, we're taking about EXTRUSION RATE here, NOT feed rate, which is the term for speed of motion of any axis (including the extruder, in raw filament terms). Any setting in the Other tab, needs to be labelled correctly, so as to avoid confusion.
Markos2f

BaronWilliams wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:50 am One of the main causes of a 3D printer jam is exceeding your 3D printer's feed rate.

Most 3D printers cannot print ABS faster than about 13.50mm³/s using a 0.40mm nozzle. Filament manufacturers should tell you this. But instead they give mm/s speed recommendations, which is nearly useless. If your printer can print ABS at 13.50mm³/s, like mine can, then that's what your printer settings should be based off of. Every setting should stem from that. Some printers can print ABS a little faster, some a little slower. If you know your feed rate, and don't exceed it, then you can adjust layer height, extrusion width, print speed, etc., and never worry about your printer exceeding the feed rate, clicking from it, and jamming from it.

The maximum feed rate for a particular filament on a particular printer is a constant value. Being able to set a limit for the feed rate is something you only need to do 1 time for a given filament, and a given printer configuration. It doesn't change, unless you change filament type, or change printers, or change your printer configuration. However, with Simplify3D, changing extrusion width, extrusion multiplier, layer height, print speed, etc., all change the feed rate, and unfortunately Simlify3D gives you no indication of the feed rate it will use based on all these settings. You need to calculate this on your own to know if you've exceeded your printer's feed rate for the filament you're using. I have a spreadsheet that I use for this now.

Here's a photo of a spreadsheet I use to calculate the proper maximum print speed at different extrusion widths and layer heights, to ensure that I don't exceed my printer's feed rate for ABS, which is the typical 13.50mm³/s on my printer when using a 0.4mm nozzle. I use this spreadsheet all the time. As long as I follow this, MY PRINTER WILL NEVER CLICK. I don't worry about exceeding my feed rate, as long as I use this spreadsheet.

PrintingSpeeds.jpg

Simplify3D should automatically prevent me from exceeding my printer's feed rate. I should not need my own spreadsheet for this. If we had Default Feed Rate and Maximum Feed Rate settings as I proposed above in my initial request, I could delete this spreadsheet and never look at it again. Boy would that be awesome.
Hi there

I know its an old post but would you be willing to share your spreadsheet as I want to understand the formula to use for other materials. My current need is ABS with 0.25mm nozzle what parameters need to change to get the safe Extruder Flow Rate. I guess it is Extruder width, Multiplier, Layer Height. But Extruder width wuld have to be set to Manual to change it and that would negate using the Multiplier parameter. Please help if you can.

Thanks

Return to “Feature Requests”