Boondocker

1st Layer

Hello Simplify 3D,

It would be nice to have filament flow multiplier on the 1st Layer settings. To obtain optimal adhesion, I make flow adjustments along with the height and spacing. Currently I adjust the flow manually on first layer.

Thanks
BaronWilliams

Re: 1st Layer

I agree.

Having a 1st Layer Extrusion Multiplier adjustment that overrides Extrusion Multiplier would be helpful. There are cases where you want to extrude more filament for the first layer when you need to improve layer bonding. There are also cases where you want to extrude less filament for the first layer to decrease filament bonding.

You can however achieve a similar effect by using the Global G-Code Offsets. If you make Z-Axis something like -0.01mm, it has a similar effect to making the extrusion multiplier higher for the first layer because it puts the first layer a little closer to the nozzle, without affecting how much plastic is extruded for the 1st layer. Likewise, a positive value is similar to reducing the extrusion multiplier for the 1st layer. But you need to take care when setting Z-Axis to a negative value. If you make it too low your nozzle will bump your build plate. So be careful using negative values.
NitroXpress

Why not using a seperate Process for the first Layer(s) with a higher extrusion multiplier ?
BaronWilliams

That works for some types of prints. But unfortunately, when you use separate processes for different layers some of the Simplify3D features, such as Use Skirt/Brim, will stop working when you go to the second process. This is not supposed to happen. It's a process switching bug that affects quite a few Simplify3D features. For that reason, I often choose not to use separate processes.
NitroXpress

OK.

I never needed Skirt or Brim.
I will make some tests...

Frank
NitroXpress

Ok.

I made some tests.
Definitely a bug.

But a brim only occures at the first one or two layers.
Should be no problem with a seperate process.

The skirt function is a bigger bug, because the massiv jerks caused by poor path generation.

Frank

Return to “Feature Requests”