TMeyer

[ADDED] Please add brim for support

Dear all,

with Simplify3D (V3.1) I started a new print which has some support.
The objects has a height of around 10 cm.
The first 20mm the print worked well. But above 20mm the support come loose and did not stick to the printbed anymore.
As you can see in the image below the support structure is printed directly on the printbed without any brim. Only the object has got a brim.
Since the support paths are very thin lines (only one nozzle width) it does not stick to the printbed very well.
And if the support has a certain height the leverage effect takes place and makes the support come loose.

I believe if S3D would create a brim for the support structure as well then this would not happen.

So please add an option to enable 'Brim for support' with settings like:

'Support brim extruder'
'Support brim layers'
'Support brim outlines'

Thanks a lot!
Count_Carstein

Re: Please add brim for support

I really don't have this problem.

However i understand how this could be an nuisance.
Isn't it your print beds fault?

Have you ever tried products like 3dlac .....I love the stuff.!
fabreax

Very good idea ! I'm loosing supports for when printing big objects too !
GlenDavidMiller

This is nice! Just had the same issue. I would love to see this added as an option!

-Glen
TMeyer

Hi,

thanks for supporting this feature!

@Count_Carstein: I neither have problems with bed adhesion nor with sticking. It is just like this:

For our objects we want to print S3D offers an option to create a brim to give more surface for better adhesion.
The support lines created by S3D are very thin much thinner than the ground face of my object.
But even support is made of such thin lines it does not get any brim to make support stick better.
If the support on each layer has contact to the object then this is not a problem.
But if the support is a few milimeters away from the object (e.g. to support parts coming in higher layers), as in my case shown in the image above), then the support hast to built up on its own without any helping brim.
Especially if the support gets higher and higher a vibration (may from rapid movement of the head) can cause that the support can come loose from the built plate.

With this feature we easily could avoid this problem.

Thanks...
dorsai3d

In cases like that, I use a thin circle or rectangle under the supports, with 0 support bottom separation.
TMeyer

@dorsai3d: Of course one can do that but this is extra work which I want to avoid.
CompoundCarl

A brim going around the outside still seems like it won't be enough. That only touches the supports on the very outside, so the interior ones could still easily detach. If you add a big flat surface below all the supports (either import a simple cube and just scale it to the appropriate size or perhaps even a raft would work), that seems like it would do a much better job overall
TMeyer

@CompundCarl: Of course we can manually create a flat shape using any 3D modlling software as an extra object, import it and us it as brim.
But this is a lot of extra work!
We already have a brim featrure in S3D so this new feature would just be an improvement on this already existing feature.

Regarding missing interior brim: we need also a further option for brim:

- Brim outside
- Brim inside
- Brim both

;-)
marcom

I came on to this forum to suggest this very thing.

The default support is too thin and scraggly and pulls off the bed too easily, particularly with tall manually-added pillars. This could definitely be helped by having the brim apply to the supports as well as the print.

- Marco

Return to “Feature Requests”