Mikey

Centering of parts

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:19 pm

I only had Simplify3D for a few days, but I constantly find myself adjusting the parts so they are in the center of the build plate.

Up until now, I have used Slic3r, and when you put multiple parts on the plate, it finds the outer position of all the parts, and centers them all on the plate. That way it is easy to adjust one part a bit, without having to move everything over because it then comes over the edge of the plate, with plenty of room to spare on the opposite side.

CompoundCarl

Re: Centering of parts

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:41 am

Doesn't is already do that? If you click "Center and Arrange", it will automatically group and center all your parts.

Mikey

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:29 am

CompoundCarl wrote:Doesn't is already do that? If you click "Center and Arrange", it will automatically group and center all your parts.
It does, but if it does not arrange them in a useful way, and you have to do it yourself, then they are no longer centered.

KDan

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:19 pm

CompoundCarl wrote:Doesn't is already do that? If you click "Center and Arrange", it will automatically group and center all your parts.
Center works fine - Arrange is broken.

Arrange uses a very primitive algorithm. It does not seek symmetry or try to create an optimized pattern to consolidate your parts to the center of the bed. I find myself rearranging parts EVERYTIME I print a group of parts.
For example - load in a small part, press CTRL+D to duplicate models an enter 8 (for a total of 9 parts). It creates a horizontal line of 9 parts which starts in the center and probably runs off the bed.
Now, press center and arrange (CTRL+R). A proper optimized pattern would be 3 rows by 3 columns. That's not what it does... It creates 2 columns, with one column containing 5 parts, and another containing 4. Only the first row of parts is centered front to back. The second row is offset from center.

To make matters worse, the very useful interactive positioning tool was removed in 3.02. In 3.0 you could click the positioning tool, click your object axes and move your part around interactively in a constrained way. In 3.02 those arrows no longer work. You have to use Position/Scaling/Rotation panel and click the numbers in the little number input boxes. It's not as interactive. A step backwards, and serious enough to cause me to revert back to 3.0.

CompoundCarl

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:01 am

KDan wrote:To make matters worse, the very useful interactive positioning tool was removed in 3.02. In 3.0 you could click the positioning tool, click your object axes and move your part around interactively in a constrained way. In 3.02 those arrows no longer work. You have to use Position/Scaling/Rotation panel and click the numbers in the little number input boxes. It's not as interactive. A step backwards, and serious enough to cause me to revert back to 3.0.
The interactive positioning still works absolutely fine for me in 3.0.2 and 3.1. You can either use the shortcuts defined in the Tools > Options window (it's Ctrl+Left click for me) or click the move icon on the toolbar and interactively move the part. There's literally 2 different ways, neither of which requires using the numeric input boxes in the model settings panel.

Mikey

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 am

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing, what I would like to see, the boundingbox of all the items always being centered.

To show how Slic3r handle that compared to Simplify 3D, I made a little video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM9--ZA1V84

In Slic3r it always keeps them centered on the build plate, this makes it easy to do some small adjustments, without having to move all the parts one by one, and also do it more precise then manually moving them around is.

CompoundCarl

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Mikey wrote:I am not sure we are talking about the same thing, what I would like to see, the boundingbox of all the items always being centered.
If you want it to arrange multiple parts together like that, you just need go group them first. So move then into whatever arrangement you want, then do Ctrl+A to select all 4 of the parts and Ctrl+G to group them. Then when you click center and arrange, they will stay locked relative to one another and they will be positioned together.

This video explains more about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQFhDZcEPhc

Mikey

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:24 pm

CompoundCarl wrote:If you want it to arrange multiple parts together like that, you just need go group them first. So move then into whatever arrangement you want, then do Ctrl+A to select all 4 of the parts and Ctrl+G to group them. Then when you click center and arrange, they will stay locked relative to one another and they will be positioned together.

This video explains more about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQFhDZcEPhc
That is even more work, first arrange, hope they will fit, group, hit center, realize they don't fit the build platform, ungroup, adjust, group, center, repeat...

Count_Carstein

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:09 am

An improvement in the arange algorithm is an good idea.

Return to “Feature Requests”