joesoap583

Installation Update

Windows installation.

When you install an updated version of S3D it retains the same name in the de-install list as previous versions (just 'Simplify3D'). So when you decide to remove the unwanted version there is no indication of the version number in the de-install program list - and that means you might de-install the wrong version. When I am offered an updated version of S3D I always keep the old version installed just in case I need to roll back, and de-install the old version when I am satisfied the new version hasn't broken anything.

Could consideration please be given to the software installation adding the version number to the program name in the de-install list? This is typical for other software (for example SQL Server or Microsoft Office) which give both the program name and the version number in the de-install list.

As a point of note, running the uninstall.exe program in the directory you want to de-install pops up a confirmation dialog - that dialog does not include the version number!

This is simply a cosmetic change involving an installation script - no functional change to the software is required.
Posting as a private individual - 3D printing is a hobby activity.
Creality CR-10S owner.
TKeller3D

Re: Installation Update

I agree with this completely. However, I would also add the following to the installation package:
1. an option to "Install over previous" with the new version OR add an "uninstall previous version" post install of the new version

I understand that for production/commercial usage, having unchanging/protected software and settings is extremely important. However, for people who also use it for hobbies or personal projects, most of these people will not want several copies of the software on their computer.

2. A "Clean Install" option to completely overwrite(including settings/profiles). This will help people who had failed installs/uninstalls, currently have a non-functioning install, and need to basically reset the software.
cybrsage

I agree with the choices given by the last poster.
S3D-Chris

Great discussion guys!

I'll be sharing your ideas with our developers.
cybrsage

I would also like the updater to actually let us know when there is an update - especially if I manually run the check. 4.0 to 4.0.1 is a prime example of the updater being worse than useless - it made me think I had the latest version when I did not.

Return to “Feature Requests”