chubnuts

Launch an external program

When printing over USB, it would be nice to be able to launch an external program or script when the print starts and completes, for example to start a webcam recording, or to enable/disable power saving modes.
Last edited by chubnuts on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marshall

Re: Launch an external program

OK, I don't use a program that does this for the exact steps, but I remember years back my friend used a program to watch for an event on the screen, and in doing so he triggered an email to send. In other words, a unique area of pixels (color etc) basically triggered a script.

So I thought about your problem for a moment not knowing what he did exactly back then...

Have you heard of iSpy? It is a security camera open-source software (https://www.ispyconnect.com). There is a free version and a paid version. I'm fairly sure that iSpy can do exactly what I said, trigger an event via pixel combination. It's also one step closer to what you said on the camera end, as it will trigger camera events, and run just about any camera out there. iSpy could be set to watch the PC screen. You would then use a screen-shot of an area unique to I.E. a print starting. iSpy could then watch for this condition to be met, and from there it will indeed trigger. It can be used this way to trigger on a specific color of vehicle passing by, license plate, or etc, also. So theoretically you could set a condition met by the printer itself in the video frame if you wanted. You could box an area of the frame to look for (bed color) movement when your bed raises/lowers depending on printer, and it could automatically record until no movement is detected. Once you see it, it will become clear how many different ways you could do this quite easily.

Check it out! ;)

Return to “Feature Requests”