Marshall

Request: Variable Conditions for Overhangs/Underhangs

I print a lot of cylindrical parts which sometimes have high angles of taper across multiple regions up the part.

To address these areas, my option has been to build a stack of FFF configs, starting and stopping at various points, to assist parts which sometimes have little infill to aid the perimeter offsets that occur in these steep areas.

I think it would be amazing if we could set conditions for overhangs and underhangs.

Example: When angle = <45°, perimeter count = N, layer height = X.XX, and get this one--auto change direction inside-to-outside or outside-to-inside printing within the condition area (and a "no change" option along with it).

Possibly going as far as to allow these auto-events to occur at N(layers) below condition angle (to prepare a "base" for possible perimeter count increase), but this is probably not as necessary so long as it could start at least 1-2 layers below the angle value being met. Once angle straightens out above set conditional value, normal print layer height settings would resume. ;)

In the cases where a person would be inclined to use the "worst" settings for overhangs that create problems, I find that it is due to needing a part quickly, and as such larger layers get used, single-perimeter lines, less or no infill, and higher print speeds. All a recipe for prints that fail to bond in steep areas. If a condition auto changed layer height to a finer value, one could print a more complex shape on-the-fly, without adding many multiple FFFs, or cross sectioning views to decide where to place them on the part.

Worthy? :?:

Return to “Feature Requests”