TMeyer

Re: Is S3D still actually being developed?

@CompundCarl: Thanks for reply, sorry but I think 'This is a user forum' is just an excuse. If a company provides a user forum I doubt that they are not interested what users are writing. In other companys there are so called moderstors which frequently watch the forum and add a comment here and there. But here there is nothing and what dkightley wrote is the point.
Users spend their time to provide new ideas but there is no feedback at all from S3D team. So no one knows if the software is under development, what features are considered as 'planned for future release' or 'nice idea, may later' or what ever.
This is the point.
PdxSteve

From the sticky:
The Feature Request subforum was created so that our developers can keep a close eye on the most popular user requested features. To officially request a new feature, please create a new topic in this subforum and describe the feature that you would like to see added. Feel free to comment on other features that you are interested in so that the developers can see which ones are the most popular.
TMeyer

@PdxSteve: Yes we know already - but 'Feature Request subforum' does not make any sense if the user does not know if S3D team has read the messages and how their reaction is!
PdxSteve

My point was some are saying to contact them directly as this is a "user forum", but THEY have said that that's what this forum is for as far as making feature requests and they state their developers read it, "keep a close eye". I agree, we should know whether they actually do or not.
dkightley

Well. I have to admit I'm totally and utterly saddened to have to come to the following conclusion.....

If the developers actually read this section, then they'll know how those on this forum feel. So, they'll do one of two things...

1) Post a response here in an attempt to clear the air and allay our fears
or
2) Do nothing.....as they don't really care about the users on this forum.

Of course...if either they have told us little white lies or are no longer developing the software, and don't read the section of the form in either case...then they won't know about this thread and nothing will happen.

Has anyone got a list of other comparable slicer packages. I might need to do some research.....
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
TMeyer

Hi,

5 minutes ago I wrote an email to S3D support. I asked them if they follow this thread and what their reaction is.
Lets see what happens now...

;-)
S3D-Jason

We are already very busy working on the next software update, but we do read this forum literally every single day! If it helps, I will post the reply we sent via email below so that all other users can see it. If you have any questions for our team, please feel free to contact us directly: https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

-----------------------------------

Software development is a complex, iterative process, and our developers are constantly trying to review customer feedback to determine a successful roadmap for our product. In fact, we have numerous people at our company, including the majority of our developers, that read and review the various sections on our forum every single day. We are truly thankful for all of the voices and opinions on the forum, as we actively use this information to help shape the future of our software.

We strive to release consistent software updates to implement many of these requested changes. Some features may take longer than others, in fact, many changes have required over 6 months of work to implement. At the same time, our company also maintains a strong focus on reliability and dependability. Larger releases such as 3.0 will frequently add a large volume of new features, but smaller releases such as 3.1 may focus more on small changes with an emphasis on fixing any known issues or bugs. This is also extremely important for many of our customers who heavily rely on our product.

As I mentioned, we do review the forum every single day, and have surely read every single thread on the site. This is intended to be a place for our users to voice their thoughts and opinions for the product, and we know our software is definitely a better product as a result of this feedback.

If there is a specific feature you are interested in, please be sure to add a "+1" post on the forum, as we frequently use the number of users that are interested in a specific feature as a metric for determining what to focus on.

-----------------------------------

I hope that helps clear up any confusion, and again, if you have any specific questions for our employees, feel free to contact us and we would be happy to help!
TMeyer

@JasonCS: Thanks for reply,

The general question this thread is addressing is that the users do not get any feedback from S3D team.
So they feel left alone. It would be great if the S3D team could also add something like a +1, -1 or some words about how S3D will deal with the users feature and when.
A good example for a feature system is at autodesk's so called IdeaStation:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastat ... /idb-p/125

There users can post their ideas, get +1 / -1 (Kudos) from other users (and of course autodesk team as well) and the possibility to write some additional words. Autodesk team then marks these threads with icons like:

'Gathering support'
'Future consideration'
'Accepted'
'Implemented'

So the users can immediately see what happens with their idea.
Such feature is missing on your website and this is the reason why users feel alone.

Is it planned that S3D provides a better, similar feature request system?
S3D-Jason

There seemed to be quite a few question in this thread including the OP asking if the software was still being developed, so I wanted to make sure to address that concern and provide some extra information about how the forum is currently used in our development process. Of course, we are open for suggestions and discussions about better ways to track these features in the future, so perhaps it would be useful to create a new thread to discuss that topic.

That would be a great way to start a separate discussion about what other feature tracking systems work well and what would be useful for the community.
dkightley

Thanks for the update, Jason. It would have been nicer to have had a response much sooner in the discussion, though.....but I'm pleased we've got the reply we were looking for.

And I've started a new feature request thread as you suggested.....
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Feature Requests”