billyd

Re: Speed control

dorsai3d wrote:Yes, if you change the default speed, you change the other speeds. Fortunately you have full control over those speeds as well!

The infill is generally the fastest part that is printed, so it makes sense to have that be the fastest speed in the print and slow everything else down from there. Might be nice to have defined speed values rather than percentages, but then you just have the opposite problem, where things don't automatically change when you change the default speed of the print, potentially ruining something like a TPU print when you turn down the main speed but forget to change, say, support speed or something.

Unfortunately with large diameter nozzles, the flow rate through during infill is too great when you consider it is essentially bridging most of the time, due to the way infill is printed in S3D (90 degrees alternate passes with each layer, so each pass has a one layer gap to the previous except where it passes a perpendicular line from the previous layer). I've also tried reducing the % width for infill but this is not as effective as controlling the speed at which it is printed. In fact it had very little effect on keeping the infill bead continuous, only slowing it down seems to work. Yet I can print perimeters and solid infill much faster. I'm sure this is due to full contact with the previous layer. Also printing a full infill on each layer (rather than alternating like standard infill) is not optimal due to the amount of plastic involved.

If I could slow down the non solid infill without effecting other print speeds I would have an ideal situation with the large diameter nozzle. I would maximize speed and minimize material. I realize there are workarounds but every alternative is worse.
dorsai3d

I don't think that you're getting that you can print things faster than the default speed. Look, I'll make this easy. Post one factory file and a set of desired speeds and I'll reply with a factory file with exactly those speeds for everything. You already have the control that you're asking for!
billyd

dorsai3d wrote:I don't think that you're getting that you can print things faster than the default speed. Look, I'll make this easy. Post one factory file and a set of desired speeds and I'll reply with a factory file with exactly those speeds for everything. You already have the control that you're asking for!

I realize I can increase the other speeds by using over 100%. But the default speed controls the inside perimeter as well as regular infill. Only the outer perimeter is controllable separately.
dorsai3d

The inner perimeters are a transition from the infill to the outer perimeter, this includes speeds. If you use more than two, you'll see this clearly. It makes sense to me that you would want a smooth transition between the two.

Regardless, we've gone a bit from complaining that there's no control over the infill speeds, now just nitpicking over speed transitions.
billyd

I haven't changed my opinion on it at all. Sorry.
brian444

I agree that the speed control doesnt make sense the way its labeled.

I think the " Default Print Speed " should for the " Outline Speed" not underspeed. And everything else a percent of the "Default Print Speed ". The way it is now, I always return to the thinking the speeds are as indicated, and then i have to look this up again, twist my brain backwards again.

Return to “Feature Requests”