HexHyte

Add more controls for Bridges

As stated in this OLD topic we have major bugs and poor controls for the bridges.

I made these pictures to easily illustrate the problems we still have, i hope everything is clear.

I don't have anything against your good product but i really would enjoy a better control system for bridges.

Thank in advance. Keep it up!

syue87

Re: Add more controls for Bridges

I also ran into the same issue. If I use set the outline underspeed lower to eliminate ringing, the perimeter of the bridge would drop. If I set the outline underspeed higher, the perimeter of the bridge is fine but I would get ringing.
HexHyte

syue87 wrote:I also ran into the same issue. [..]
This so bad for a 150€ software, i hope developers will fix this as soon as possible!
CompoundCarl

Can you post the STL file from your first picture? I just tried a similar model and it seems to be working fine for me..
Lagbert

I'd really like to see bridges handled as nearest neighbor paths between islands. This would result in better bridges between islands that aren't parallel to the X or Y axis. Also in cases of concentric islands (a cylinder within a cylinder) the bridge filaments would be radial rather than rectilinear resulting in shorter more consistent paths with less sag.
S3D-Jason

Many of these features have now been added in Version 4.0.

1) Version 4.0 includes a completely new bridging algorithm that does a great job picking the best direction for the bridging fill. This will automatically choose the best direction for your bridges to make sure the infill has the best chance of success. This change is automatic, so it happens right away when you are using version 4.0.

2) If for some reason, you still want to try a different direction for your bridge, version 4.0 allows you to customize the direction that is used. Click "Edit Process Settings", go to the Other tab, and then enable the "Use fixed bridging infill angle" option and specify the angle that you want to use.

3) By default, the software uses the custom outline settings that you specify for the outlines of your model, however, version 4.0 includes a new option that allows you to override these settings for bridging regions if you wish. Click "Edit Process Settings", go to the Other tab, and enable the "Apply bridging settings to perimeters". When this option is enabled, any perimeters that are bridging across your model will use the custom bridging extrusion, speed, and fan speed settings that you have specified.
HexHyte

JasonCS wrote:Many of these features have now been added in Version 4.0.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate your real interests toward user opinions and tips!

The only feature missing is the possibility to print parts just above the bridges with bridge settings too.
arhi

HexHyte wrote:The only feature missing is the possibility to print parts just above the bridges with bridge settings too.
yup, having ability to configure "number of layers" for bridge would be cool :D
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
brunofporto

JasonCS wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:28 pm Many of these features have now been added in Version 4.0.

1) Version 4.0 includes a completely new bridging algorithm that does a great job picking the best direction for the bridging fill. This will automatically choose the best direction for your bridges to make sure the infill has the best chance of success. This change is automatic, so it happens right away when you are using version 4.0.

2) If for some reason, you still want to try a different direction for your bridge, version 4.0 allows you to customize the direction that is used. Click "Edit Process Settings", go to the Other tab, and then enable the "Use fixed bridging infill angle" option and specify the angle that you want to use.

3) By default, the software uses the custom outline settings that you specify for the outlines of your model, however, version 4.0 includes a new option that allows you to override these settings for bridging regions if you wish. Click "Edit Process Settings", go to the Other tab, and enable the "Apply bridging settings to perimeters". When this option is enabled, any perimeters that are bridging across your model will use the custom bridging extrusion, speed, and fan speed settings that you have specified.
Not to me... I am using version 4.0.1 and the bridge algorithm is just plain dumb. It mostly NEVER find the correct direction for the bridge infill.... In some parts I can handle this dumbness fixing the bridge infill angle - but if the part have multiple bridges at different directions it causes issues.
Screenshot from 2018-04-24 10-46-46.png
Look at this infill bridge! It just failed!!! Of course it failed! Who would make a 90 degree infill at a bridge?????

I am really angry because I am using the free Slic3r Prusa Edition more that my fancy US$ 150 software...... Slic3r have a NICE bridging algorithm that always choose the best angle for bridges - and the algorithm is open for S3D guys to check on it.....
brunofporto

Another example, as I said S3D 4.0.1 bridge algorithm is just dumb......
Screenshot from 2018-04-24 11-11-59.png
Screenshot from 2018-04-24 11-15-04.png
Attachments
HEvo PETG.fff
(12.27 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

Return to “Feature Requests”