sscherrer

More intelligent SUPPORT creation

Hi,

Whilst If find Simplify a great piece of software, the support being created shows some quick limitations. The variations are limited as well and I find myself spending more time than I should to add support or tweak those. I have used other slicers and they typically by default are more creative on their support. I give few main example I know (this is not exhaustive):
- Never ever do you find a lacking support structure for obvious part of the object hanging in the air. It is very frequent with S3D and almost a BUG to me.
- The support can be variable in shape and density in particular when coming close to the object they support...This facilitates removal but as well better adjustment
- The support can go in other directions than just Vertical... this avoid contact with lower part of the object when going up to support a hanging hand over a leg for instance.

Whilst certainly, some of this can be cirucmvented by the add manual support and adjustement of few parameters, it is clear that S3D requires more attention to the support auto-generation to make it the perfect all in one slicer. Support is a very important aspect of our ability to print and is one if not my main disappointment on S3D. So I'd hope this could be improved largely in a future release ?

Thank you
CompoundCarl

Re: More intelligent SUPPORT creation

I quickly learned that you have to use a smaller pillar resolution if you have small features on your model that you want to support. So make sure you're using something like 1-2mm pillar sizes if you have some tiny features.

They also have a dense support option that you might want to check out, since that can change the density and orientation of the support close to the surface for easier separation and better quality
sscherrer

CompoundCarl wrote:I quickly learned that you have to use a smaller pillar resolution if you have small features on your model that you want to support. So make sure you're using something like 1-2mm pillar sizes if you have some tiny features.

They also have a dense support option that you might want to check out, since that can change the density and orientation of the support close to the surface for easier separation and better quality
Thanks. I do use the 2mm, but there are stll issues. As to the dense option, yes but changing orientation not aware of that... I'll have a look. Still believe all in all the generated support are below rest of slicers and that they would gladly benefit from an upgrade...
Rob65

Yes, proper support generation is a must.
S3D keeps adding support structures that do not run all the way to the object's outer perimeter.
The floating support that protrudes from a part when there is a hole somewhere in the middle is really strange but although it looks ugly while printing it does not seem to interfere with the part and somehow it recovers when there are enough layers to fill.

Return to “Feature Requests”