dtwrv6

Filament Properties

Why aren't filament properties (currently on the "other") tab saved with each material type? The diameter, price, and density are all parameters that have to change whenever I change materials, but the software ties these to the main printer settings. Also, the tooltip for materials says that the extruder settings are saved with the material, but the ooze controls are not. I'd like to turn ooze control off for materials like ABS, and on for Nylon.

Don
ShawnGano

Re: Filament Properties

I second this request- price, and density are all parameters that are specific to the material and should be saved that way.
TurbulantCalm

+1
jerryjs8

I also agree with this.

MatterControl gives you the option to choose what settings you want specific to different materials and it really makes the system a whole lot more streamlined.

Like S3D so far, but adding the option to choose yourself what features you want to be material or even layer height related would be a great feature! Otherwise I started creating a lot of different printer profiles based on the material printed and layer height. You just can't print Nylon with the same temps, extrusion width and speeds at 0.1mm and 0.3mm layer heights!!! Makes my dropdown list quite a mess cause I have three different printers I'm going to be rotating between with a lot of different materials. And if I change something for example in the script section I have to go through and revise all the daughter profiles for that machine...
brian442

They already support doing this in S3D. Just go to File > Export FFF Profile, choose the profile you want to edit, then open that file in a text editor. The add whatever settings you want the material choice to change into the <autoConfigureMaterial> sections.

Here's a more detailed explanation of how to do this. They are explaining how to make the filament density and cost change with the material selection, so it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for :D
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5445&p=23576#p23576

Also, you only have to edit the FFF file in a text editor once! After that, you can just use the S3D GUI to change the filament properties for each material and they will get updated automatically.
jerryjs8

Good to know, I'm going to town on this feature and having a blast!!!
S3D-Jason

In addition to what was mentioned 2 posts above, you can also now specify different material properties for each of your extruders in version 4.0. So if you wanted to use PLA and PVA at the same time, you could enter a different weight and cost for each material. To do this, click "Edit Process Settings", go to the Other tab, and edit the settings in the Filament Properties section. Select the tool that matches the extruder where you have the filament loaded, and then change the properties as needed.

Return to “Feature Requests”