3dyeti

[ADDED] Machine profiles

It would be nice to be able to have multiple machine profiles set-up and with a quick click, swap between 2 or more printers for control and printing. I have a Makergear M2, and a Makerbot ToM. I am sure I am not the only one with more than one printer.
Jake

Re: Feature Request- Machine profiles.

I'll second this. In addition to machine profiles that define machine capabilities (HBP, extruders, cooling fan, steps per MM, firmware & g-code dialects, etc.), I'd like to see material profiles - filament diameters, extruder temperatures, color, retraction extrusion multipliers.

In my ideal workflow, I would select a machine, tell S3D what materials are in each extruder, and based on the profiles for the machine and filament, it would calculate a set of recommended settings for the Process. From there, things could be tweaked further under advanced.

I find that depending on the filament I have loaded, it might need minor tweaks to the diameter, temperatures, or the like. Rather than having to do this each time (usually by memory) I'd like a profile that I can configure for "Sainsmart ABS Green" or "MAkerbot ABS Red".
nkloski

Thirded! Anyone know if this is in the pipeline?
rsilvers

Yes, need separated machine and filament profiles.
barsam

+1 I was really shocked when I found out that there are no Machine and filament profiles. I was expecting more from a paid application compared to the open source ones...
mfeherpataky

I could not agree more. Got the software, as my favourite go-to slicer - Kisslicer - seems not to be maintained anymore.
Though, after digging deeper - in the "GCODE" section of the "Processes" settings there is a field set titled "Update Machine Definition" that allows to define printer mechanically.

Isn't it what you are looking for? It allows to switch between printers by choosing "Processes". You must define processes - at least one for each printer (I use printer name followed by material used) - then double click on it and clicks "Save" (sic!). Once you done with this 3DSimplify changes the preview to print area of the selected printer. Mind you this may not be the most user friendly way, but it is there (definitely not "3DSimplify"-ing).

I would clearly see a higher level printer selection (size of print area, nozzle, and other mechanical elements, all the extruder settings), followed by the "Processes" that would contain definition of printing material - PLA/ABS, (dimensions, temperature), following the desired print quality (layers, perimeters, infill, support, etc..)

What bothers me big time - even with the current software setup - however, is the fact that I need to manually load the Factory File each time I start the software.
S3D-Jason

The new profile system in version 3.0 makes it incredibly easy to quickly switch between printer profiles. All settings such as machine build dimensions, firmware configuration, GPX profiles, etc can all be coupled to the profile so that all changes are made at once. This avoids any mistakes that may occur when switching printers.

Return to “Feature Requests”