cybrsage

Re: API for add-ins

Since the original request was so long ago, we can be confident S3D has no plans on letting us turn this software into the only slicer anyone would ever think of using.

Pretty sad - an offer of free labor to make their product better and they say no.
KSum

I could see why it might not have been something they wanted to do back then, but the industry is changing so rapidly. There are no less than 3 printers coming out this year that do some form of color mixing, which I believe is going to be huge for 3D printing. If S3D doesn't jump on that quickly, or open up with an API so others can add the ability to handle it, they will be lagging behind. Once you lag behind what the free software can do, you fade into the background.
scoobdiddy

I also would like to see this as a feature.
S3D-Jake

Great feedback on this feature request guys!

As a quick aside, don't take this, or any, feature request's age as a deterrent. If you're interested in a feature, please post your feedback and reasoning. We love hearing from our users and look for levels of interest when implementing new features.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
KSum

Any ETA on 4.1 or a new feature list?
dorbar

S3D-Jake wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:05 pm Great feedback on this feature request guys!

As a quick aside, don't take this, or any, feature request's age as a deterrent. If you're interested in a feature, please post your feedback and reasoning. We love hearing from our users and look for levels of interest when implementing new features.
That being said.... could we get a timeline ...sort of?!?
As mentioned this feature request originate some... 2 years ago. In this time, I guess we- the users, did very explicitly express and argument the need of this feature.

So, what's gonna be?
S3D-Jake

dorbar wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 am That being said.... could we get a timeline ...sort of?!?
As mentioned this feature request originate some... 2 years ago. In this time, I guess we- the users, did very explicitly express and argument the need of this feature.

So, what's gonna be?
Again, please don't take the age of any feature request as a deterrent from providing your additional input. And please do not try to discourage other users from providing their own input. Despite the age of this thread, I'm still here encouraging you to keep the conversation going. Because at our core, we're focused on giving our users what they want and need to improve the outcome when utilizing their machines. Communicating with users has been and continues to be a huge part of that.

Another of our official forum users stated earlier today that we would be posting another development update here soon. It will certainly be focused on what we've been working on since our last post. I'd stay tuned for that, if your interested in knowing more about what is coming next to Simplify3D.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Codex404

I am backing this completely.

As a software developer myself I do have some ideas to make my life easier but things I personally think are out of scope for the main software package. I know from experience making software extendable isn't the easiest thing to do when the software isn't build from the start with this in mind. But I sure love the idea.
Currently Simplify3D is an easy to use tool with quite a bit of power, having a plugin system would be a huge plus when this is executed correctly. A halfbaked plugin system might make the software worse.

So I am personally a big supporter of this idea but at the same time have doubts about how this should work.

Return to “Feature Requests”