Umake

[ADDED] Retraction after support

Hi All,

I know there are already some topics about this bug. But I wanted to make a feature request of it because this bug is driving me crazy for a while.

In s3d I almost always use the option 'only retract when crossing open spaces' to prevent lots of unnecessary retractions. But for printing support material, this option starts to behave in a different way. What happens is that somehow (not always) a travel move from support material to the printed part is seen as 'not crossing an open space', and the extruder isn't retracting. This leaves little artefacts which need more post processing or ruin the print. You can see an example of the retraction behaviour in the screenshot below.
Only retract when crossing open spaces [true]
Only retract when crossing open spaces [true]
However, when I uncheck the 'only retract when crossing open spaces' box, retraction always does happen at the end of a printed support line. As you can see in the screenshot below. But the problem that happens now is that the printer is retracting way too often on travel moves inside perimeters. I can minimise this by using a minimal distance before doing a retraction. But this can create non retracting travel moves over open spaces where this distance is shorter than the value that is entered for the minimal distance before retraction.
Only retract when crossing open spaces [false]
Only retract when crossing open spaces [false]
The file that is being printed in this example is seen below.
3D model
3D model

So my feature request in short is:
A bugfix that solves non retracting travel moves after a printed support line, while 'only retract when crossing open spaces' is checked.
S3D-Jason

Re: Retraction after support

This has now been fixed in version 4.0. There were many improvements to the "avoid crossing outlines" behavior, including a fix to the issue shown in the screenshots above. Thank you for the report!

Return to “Feature Requests”