imthebossofme

First layer outline direction

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Currently I find that the first layers inner shell speed is often too fast, often being peeled away from the bed as the extruder moves to the next island.

I think that being able to invert the first layers outline direction would be useful when starting off prints with small islands. This could also be resolved by being able to tweak the first layers inner outline speed.

CompoundCarl

Re: First layer outline direction

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 am

There is already a setting to control the first layer speed as well as the outline direction, so perhaps those would be useful for you

imthebossofme

Re: First layer outline direction

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:22 pm

I find my first layer speed settings to be perfect under normal circumstances though (20mm/s on a UM2+), but for anything with multiple islands (e.g. M3/M4 post holes in a part, or fidget spinners with multiple closely spaced shells) the nozzle tends to drag the first (inner) outline away from the bed as it moves to do the outer shell line. I do typically use a z-hop of .2mm, which could be contributing to the problem in some cases, but bed adhesion isn't normally an issue as it's levelled to .1mm using a dial gauge.

The option to invert the shell line direction for the first layer only, and perhaps even a first layer z-hop toggle should help with bed adhesion in this situation, and prevent the need for a separate process to accomplish this.

Come to think of it, printing islands sequentially without optimisation might help me with the first layer in these cases, I will play around with separate processes but some of these would prove useful to have as first layer settings.

Return to “Feature Requests”