samsfisher

Command line slicing

Simplify3d team,

Is there a way for you to open up command line slicing? I used that feature a lot in slic3r as i slice multiple models using a custom settings file. I am sure thats possible with creator as well but is there an intent to do so in the future?

Sam
BaronWilliams

Re: Command line slicing

At work we have a need to call slicers from the command line with the STL model specified and the output file specified.

I also would like to know if this is possible using the current Simplify3D. If so, where is it documented? If not, command line support should be added.
KeyboardWarrior

I think Slic3r has this because they're open source, whereas Simplify isn't
BaronWilliams

At work we use all sorts of closed source software that supports command line functions. It's very common for software that needs to be used in an automated way. Without Simplify3D supporting command line functions, they limit the usefulness of their software to non-automated usage. If a large company wants to use Simplify3D to create automated print jobs, they are out of luck. Simplify3D will lose sales because of this. I know this to be a fact. One of my clients uses Simplify3D, but only for testing. When it comes to making automated 3D prints, they are forced to use other software.

I think if Simplify3D is to become a serious professional printing package, then it needs command line function support.

At minimum, you need to be able to do this from the command line:

Code: Select all

Simplify3D myprintjob.stl myprofile.fff -print
And then Simplify3D would load myprintjob.stl, and print it using myprofile.fff.

Being a software engineer, I know this is relatively simple to add to most software.
Last edited by BaronWilliams on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
laird

+1 this. I often have a whole directory full of files that I want to slice. GUIs are great for one-offs, and for trying out settings. But once you have your configuration working the way you want, it's much more efficient to slice from a command line than a GUI.

Alternatively, some programs remain GUI apps, but they can be configured to watch an 'incoming' directory, process each file as it appears, move them into a 'done' directory, and drop the generated file in an 'outgoing' directory. That's OK too, and might be easier for the developer to implement.
danekshea

I would like to add that I also would like to see this for the software. Its a feature thats needed for people who are printing a lot. We need the ability to run a command line script with your printerprofile and settings and just get a .gcode file. Please, please add this.
RiC0MD

I'd like to +1 this also, would love the ability to be able to pass in a stl composite and get back gcode (being able to specify the FFF profile, etc).
wfcook

+1 on this
briankb

+1 for CLI so we can interface directly in things like OctoPrint. The software should still be able to authenticate itself during the install, then calling the CLI afterwords.
tomas

+1 to CLI slicing. We would very much appreciate this feature. Unfortunatelly, it's currently one of the biggest limits simplify3D. It's a great slicer so we'd like to use it in the command line as well. Thanks!

Return to “Feature Requests”