jverz

[ALREADY ADDED] Fractional shell layer height

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Maybe there's a reason this hasn't been done, but a cursory search hasn't yielded any discussion on this:

Since the majority of detail for a model is in the outer shell, could we gain the ability to have the outer layer subdivided to the overall layer height? I don't see how this would cause print issues (except possibly laterally) because you could do 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 passes then proceed with normal height through the infill, bottom, top, and support.

brian442

Re: Fractional shell layer height

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:30 am

I believe this is already included. Look on the Infill and Support tabs. There's a setting called "print infill every X layers". If you set that to 2, it prints 2 thin outlines and then 1 twice as thick infill layer (so that's the 1/2 scenario you mentioned). Set it to 3 for 1/3, and so on.

watsonstudios

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm

But isn't it only going to extrude the amount needed for a given layer height? I see what you're saying. If you set your layers to print at say .1mm and you want your infill and supports to print every 2 layers,(as if they're printing at .2mm height) I don't think you will get the extrusion volume necessary to fill in that missing layer. S3D is going to set the extrusion amount for .1mm layers. Possibly for infill, you could set your infill width to 200% to compensate for extrusion amount but you don't have that control with your supports.

brian442

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:12 am

If you set it to print the infill every 2 layers, it will automatically extrude the infill with double amount of plastic since it has to fill 2 layers now. So it already does what you describe.

Return to “Feature Requests”