arhi

different extrusion widths

I'd really like to use more s3d and less slic3r 'cause of the whole process ability and manual support but some things are still too problematic ... this one is a particularly big issue for me that makes me go with meshmixer+slic3r instead of s3d :( ..

attm in s3d I can only select "Extrusion width" per process per extruder. This is not enough :(. I really need, often, to set different extrusion width for different extrusion types so I want for e.g. 0.48mm for inside perimeter, 0.5mm for infill, 0.45mm for support, 0.38mm for outside perimeter and for e.g. 0.55mm for top and 0.6 for bottom layer.. ideally all that different for top, middle and bottom layers :)

neither the slic3r have them all they have few more compared to 3 ones s3d currently offers, we have "general width" and "infill extrusion width %" and on layer we have "first layer width%" .. so slic3r is in no way solving the problem completely neither..

the minimum that I think is needed would be
- add on support tab, like for infill tab "support extrusion width %"
- add on layer tab Width % for the "outmost perimeter"

for me that would solve more then 50% of the problems I have with s3d (other 40% are related to bridges and 10% are small not very relevant things)
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
Raul

Re: different extrusion widths

I ratify this request.
S3D-Jake

Hi guys! If you're familiar with the concept of "virtual extruders" you'll know that you can already assign a different extrusion width to the support structures. Setting a different extrusion width for just the outer perimeter is something that would require a software update to be able to perform.

I'll keep an eye on your thread to gauge user interest in something like this getting implemented.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
airscapes

I was under the impression that nozzle size kind of dictated the extrusion width. How do you expect to go from .38 to .6 using one nozzle? This would require a .5 physical nozzle which would typically use and extrusion width of .5 to .62. Using a width less then the physical opening has never worked well and would surely require a Z offset change to maintain adhesion. I am no expert here but you have physical limits when it comes to squeezing plastic out a tiny hole..
parallyze

airscapes wrote: I was under the impression that nozzle size kind of dictated the extrusion width. How do you expect to go from .38 to .6 using one nozzle? This would require a .5 physical nozzle which would typically use and extrusion width of .5 to .62. Using a width less then the physical opening has never worked well and would surely require a Z offset change to maintain adhesion. I am no expert here but you have physical limits when it comes to squeezing plastic out a tiny hole..
Most nozzles can be used at about 100% - 175% without problems. So a 0.35mm nozzle would be sufficient for about 0.35mm - 0.61mm. Depends on nozzle geometry and other factors, but 0.4mm - 0.65mm on a 0.4mm nozzle is usually absolutely no problem. And no, Z should not be affected if everything is calibrated. Because you're changing extrusion width, not extrusion/layer height.

BTT: While I don't need as many options as the original poster, I'd love to see parts of this being added. Sometimes I do need 0.5mm for walls but would like to speed up external infill by setting it to .6 or wider...
dorbar

Thumbs up from me for this feature too. Sometimes I have to manually (control panel of my 3DP) increase the extrusion amount to get wider extrusion-line in some portions of the 3d-printed part.
So to arbitrary define, the width of a part would be great. This way you can make parts denser and stronger when and where you need it. ...or less dense and more brittle for support for example.
parallyze

dorbar wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:18 am Sometimes I have to manually (control panel of my 3DP) increase the extrusion amount to get wider extrusion-line in some portions of the 3d-printed part.
Your printer offers to change the extrusion width while printing?! How does it know what features to apply this to? Or are you talking about extrusion/flow multiplier?
byobxc

I also need this feature because in the real world we print bigger and faster time by time. thus we have to have a print stratagey for the speed and width.as the other post suggest about the abslute speed value structure,we need the same varialbe width managment stucture that can optimize for our prints. we can define the outlayer,innerlayer,infiill,top bottom,support ,dens support witdths individually,this will greatly speed up for big size model as well as complex model.This is a must to have feature for heavy duty printers like in the printing center.cos time is money we cant sit and wait for the printer to print like a toy.
I stronly suggest to add this feature together with the abslute speed value feature.If these feature not showing up in the new update we d like to pay for it.

cheers

Return to “Feature Requests”