vOidward

Feature Request: Layer Thickness Scaling

I like how Simplify3D slows down the print towards the top of the model for finer detail.
You know what would be even nicer? If there was an option for it to also decrease layer thickness as it does that.

Particularly on organic models with a spherical finish towards the top, the layer thickness becomes very obvious in the form of conspicuous concentric rings. If the software automatically reduced layer thickness for finer detail towards the top, I think this effect can be minimized in a fairly seamless manner. Just put more detail where it's needed.

The implementation would have to be the top x layers of every island though, not just the very top of the model. It would likely also need to be a gradation of layer heights not just a simple binary switch to 50% thickness. Might make things a little complicated because then the nozzle would need to jump layer heights in scenarios where 1 island is printing at a 0.1 standard thickness and another island needs to go down to say 0.8. If nozzle lift doesn't cause issues with retraction I would assume this could be done also.

Basic illustration:
vOidward

Re: Feature Request: Layer Thickness Scaling

Or, if not an automatic setting, an option to "paint in" a gradient of detail (kind of like weight painting in maya) would be very useful.
From that, the software determines how to lower the layer thickness in the painted area to a determined percentage (say 25%) so that the user can save time by printing at a higher thickness except where it's needed.

I find that most of the time I need to lower my layer thickness it's only so that about 20% of the print becomes higher quality, usually towards the top. The rest of the print having a finer layer thickness just ends up being a waste of time.

Being able to either paint in areas or automatically up the resolution of the print where it's needed would save a lot of time while making the prints higher quality.
davedfx

+1 on this. currently we have to do this manually
jimc

i have done some testing on this and have found that for what you are talking about where the steps get large that its more effective to print at a narrower extrusion width rather than decreasing layer height. either way improves the finish but the narrower line width seems to have more of an impact.
vOidward

While it's possible to do this manually through multiple "processes", the exact feature I'm requesting would require me to hand enter about a hundred of them to make a 7.5mm print start to taper off from a 0.8 thickness to a 0.3 thickness gradually towards the top starting at a height of 4.5.

Could do it through just a few steps, but it's really a cheap imitation of how the thickness should gradually scale instead of stairstepping down to the desired thickness.

Also, this manual process method only covers models where the detail is only needed at the very top. If there are separate islands where such detail is needed, there's no elegant way to do this without having multiple bands of layer thicknesses throughout the model.
jjjvr

Hi

I would have to agree that this function would be a great improvement. I am happy with the vertical portions of my build but when it comes to either a top flat layer or even worse in the case of a compounded curve on the top, the layers are too far apart and cause a poor result. I have tried the multiple process with a change to smaller levels but this typically result in a visible change at the layer or level where the change in process occurs. I am sure that by playing around with the settings I could improve this but an automated function as described above would be great.

Return to “Feature Requests”