Jeff

[ADDED] Brim stays attached to part

I would like to request that we have a real brim function that hugs the object. I have objects where a skirt will not (hug) the object. See attached picture. It does fine in the front and back, but nothing on the sides.
brim needed.jpg

Jeff
davedfx

Re: A real Brim

make a process FFF on the first eg 0.2mm then second process without brim.
rsilvers

This software does not seem to connect skirt/brim to the part! That sort of defeats the ability to use them to reduce curling with ABS. I set the distance to 0.

Why doesn't it touch the part on all sides?
Festus440

A skirt and a brim are different.
The skirt outlines the entire dimensions of the part so if the top is larger then the bottom the skirt won't touch the bottom in the areas that overhang the bottom even if the distance is set to 0. The actual purpose of the skirt is just to prime the extruders before the printing begins.

Simplify 3D doesn't yet support a brim, which would touch all around the bottom regardless of the upper dimensions of the part and help secure the part to the bed.

However, as davidfx said, you can simulate a brim by adding a second process for the bottom couple of layers and add a skirt to that with 0 offset. That will connect to the bottom of the part all the way around and act like a brim. It's just more work to add the second process and would be nice if that function was built into the software.
Jeff

Exactly. Seems like adding more processes solve a lot of issues and that is great... BUT, We sell printers and I want the process to be as easy as possible for our customers. Slic3r has this option, so I know it can be done. I hope to see all the changes on here be incorporated soon. They definitely need a roadmap of upcoming changes so they can slow the traffic down on this forum. I am sure many things mentioned are already being worked on. It would be great for the current customers to see that list.

Jeff
davedfx

Yes this feature should be added. It's a pain to use multiple processes.
JoeJ

It looks like it already supports a brim

Layer tab, enable the Skirt/Brim option and set the skirt offset to zero. That acts exactly like what I think a brim should do. Now the one exception is that if you enable support generation, the brim is widened so that it would not interfere with any support material. Again, that seems intuitive to me and it can cause a big mess if your support materials overlaps with the first few layers of the brim. But as previous posters mentioned, you can always create a second process if you really want to do that (although I probably wouldn't)
S3D-Jason

Full brim functionality was added in version 2.1 so that it always stays fully attached to the model

Return to “Feature Requests”