RogerWilco486

Firmware Retraction

Many RepRap controller firmwares support Firmware Retraction via G10/G11. (See http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G10:_Retract and http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G11:_Unretract)

I know this has been asked for in the past so I was hoping to see this added to version 4 but it looks like I'll have to continue to wait. I just took a glance at the exiting feature requests, and I'm surprised to see it doesn't seem to have been asked for recently, so I figure putting my two cents in might help.

Having the ability to allow the controller to handle retractions instead of the slicer enables users to adjust retraction settings on the fly which is immensely useful. Some examples include: tweaking retractions when switching from one brand of filament to another, or for when dialing in retractions when working with a completely new filament or printer.

Firmware reaction is supported by a number of other slicers, and I imagine this to be very easy feature to implement since all it requires is for the slicer to simply issue G10 and G11 instead of it's own retraction moments.

Adding something simple like firmware retraction would help bring this wonderful slicer up to feature parity with some of the open source alternatives.

Thank you!

(NOTE: I'm aware there is a way to accomplish this via post processing script, but what I'm looking for is a simple checkbox to enable it without messing around with post processing.)
studiodyne

Re: Request: Firmware Retraction

I LOVE FIRMWARE RETRACTATION

I use it with scripts , that replace the gcode movements

I use it for swapping too

M207/M208 to set params

G10 to retract , G10 S1 to swap , G11 To recover

i love it , i can modify my settings during a print , a i can make a perfect recovery

SIMPLIFY3D is in late , it's a shame , but i use scripts and it's not a problem , but i wil really enjoy to have it in the setting tab

Steeve
AK_Eric

RogerWilco486 wrote: (NOTE: I'm aware there is a way to accomplish this via post processing script, but what I'm looking for is a simple checkbox to enable it without messing around with post processing.)
+1 This. There's a single checkbox for this in Slic3r, would be nice to have this mirrored in S3D.
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
WTLgrinda

Bumping this thread, was going to be speaking this next but realized it's not supported yet
Hergonoway

+1 please add this feature
strips

Yes! I have been looking for this feature a while now. Please implement.
SusiT140V

+1 bump.

Me too please.
S3D-Jake

Thanks for the continued feedback on this, everyone! I'll be watching this thread to gauge user interest.

As studiodyne has stated, you can use the replace commands to insert firmware retractions in the place of retractions in Simplify3D.

Check the option for "Include M101/M102/M103" in the G-Code tab. Then include these in your "Additional terminal Commands for post processing" inside the Scripts tab.

{REPLACE "M101" "G11"}
{REPLACE "M103" "G10"}
{STRIP "M102"}

Finally, set retraction distance and extra restart distance in your extruder controllers to 0. This will eliminate any instances of duplicate retractions or primes.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
AdrianR52

I support request for proper firmware retraction support
r1cht3r

+1 for firmware retraction support, Marlin bugfix-2.0.x here.

Return to “Feature Requests”