DanceM

Smooth perimeters speed slowdown in S3D 4.0 as it was in 3.1

Greetings!

Simplify3D 4.0 update is very cool, but it hit me hard in one place.

in S3D 3.1 you can print internal perimeters on high speed, while external perimeter will be printed slower, and additional internal perimeters speed is slowing down line by line. It is very nice trick, as it allow to print more accurate surfaces with higher speeds.

But in S3D 4.0 there are only two speeds - one internal perimeters speed (slower than expected), for all internal lines/shells, and another slow external line/shell speed. No slowdown gradient.

Is it possible to get this smooth slowdown back, probably as an option? Like:
[v] Reduce the perimeters printing speed gradually.

Thanks!
Clip2net_170725194055.png
mroek

Re: Smooth perimeters speed slowdown in S3D 4.0 as it was in

Good catch, but I'm not sure this really affects the print quality. The outermost perimeter is printed at the specified speed, and the inside perimeters are printed at the default speed. The smooth speed transition that was there in 3.1.1 for perimeters inbetween most likely didn't do much except increase print times ever so slightly.

So my guess is that this was removed because it didn't really do much. If you are convinced this makes a difference, why don't you create a test object, then slice and print it with both 3.1.1 and 4.0 and then compare the prints. And if there's a difference, post photos here. :-)
DanceM

>except increase print times ever so slightly
With three perimeters size it should decrease print time, not increase. On four layers quality should be better, as outer lines will be printed slower and accurate, while interanal perimeters - fast.

Also, when speed is different, it may reduce waving resonance on higher print speeds, as every perimeter will have own speed and different wave length, so they should not added one to other.

But yes, of course I agree that it should be tested at first. For now it is only my theory. I will do the tests as soon as possible with opaque and transparent plastic.
mroek

Ok, assume you have three perimeters, and the speeds defined as 60 for inner perimeters and 40 for outer.

With v4 you will have speeds of 40 - 60 - 60 (starting from the outside).
With v3.1.1 you will have speeds of 40 - 50 - 60, so slightly slower due to the middle perimeter being printed more slowly. The number 50 might not be accurate, but it is always less than 60.

But again, I doubt this really matters much, if any.
DanceM

> With v4 you will have speeds of 40 - 60 - 60 (starting from the outside).
Actually, 40-50-50 - internal perimeters print speed is not max speed. You can see the difference on the image above.
mroek

The actual numbers isn't important, the point is that the average speed is higher with v4, so total print time will be a tiny bit faster, not slower.
DanceM

mroek wrote:The actual numbers isn't important, the point is that the average speed is higher with v4, so total print time will be a tiny bit faster, not slower.
v4.0: (40+50+50)/3 = 47mm/s
v3.1: (40+50+60)/3 = 50mm/s (faster)

In case when perimeters have 25% speed with max 60mm/s (my default setup in S3D 3.1)
v4.0: (15+30+30)/3 = 25mm/s
v3.1: (15+30+60)/3 = 35mm/s, 40% faster (compare to v4) perimeters print speed with really slow outer lines.
dkightley

A read of this might help avoid embarrassment.... http://physicscatalyst.com/article/comm ... lculation/
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
DanceM

dkightley wrote:A read of this might help avoid embarrassment.... http://physicscatalyst.com/article/comm ... lculation/
Numbers in my calculations is wrong, but the idea is simple - when inner perimeter prints faster, it will take less time to print the model.
Also quality influence should be tested separately too.

Anyway, I miss this feature in S3D 4.0 and I think (as a programmer) it is not so hard to add option to turn this feature on or off.
kemp-d-p

I agree, if you have say text in a wall that is .5+ deep "engraved" this would make a difference. It made a difference on a part I have printed many times, not much, but enough to notice. Like he said, this is a easy programming "radio" button or check box option, possibly even a selection of how many perimeters use the "external perimeter speed"

Return to “Feature Requests”