Rhino_Aus

Perimeter around surface layers on top of infill

Excuse the bad description but this is an easy problem to visualize but hard to describe. When printing the first layer on top of infill, the print is effectively overhanging inside the print and will not form the edge of the layer properly. If a perimeter was placed down on the infill which bridges between the infill then that first layer can bridge from the infill to the perimeter.

As an example, this surface layer that is being printed is meant to be flat rectangular plane that is higher on either side and so does not connect to the overall model perimeter. It is this wall mount for the HTC Vive. If there was another internal perimeter around the surface where the red lines are marked, the surface fill would be much more successful as the surface layer could bridge to it.

In other words the red line marked in this layer preview should be printed in before the fill of the first top layer to allow for it be used as the end point for bridging from the infil for the edge of the surface

fantom

Re: Perimeter around surface layers on top of infill

+1

Would kill for this feature, it's available in Cura and it makes a massive difference to print quality.
mrcs

+1 that's the no1 cause of uplifting plastic. Especially problematic with ABS because it's rock solid after seconds.
kemp-d-p

Yes this would help a lot on pillowing and overall quality
lutorm

I'm looking for something like this, too. It would really help when using sparse infill.

Alternatively, the surface layer should be extended to the next outside infill feature so it can attach there. It would also be helpful if this type of bridging was recognized by the bridging detection, but it doesn't seem to be.
blackbird2016

I agree.
This kind of may be related to viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7978
which I posted a few days ago.
In my opinion I would not say that there is definite need for an extra perimeter at all.
Basically S3D just does not know (at least seems not to) where the underneath infill walls are
and hence where there is no infill prints the top layers in midair.
Using the S3D support you will just get advised to increase infill percentage and toplayers
which I think should not be the solution at all.
For what can those values be adjusted when there is always need to keep them at a kind of high-level.

For more than a year know I have been sitting in front of my printer for hours and days watching my things printed
and feel convinced to recognize and determine one slicer from the other just by watching how a slicer does handle certain things.

It would be great (S3D already is) it could cope with top layers the same as e.g. the Makerware could.

For the above mentioned problems it would be enough to remember where the infill walls are and treat
the 1st toplayer as a bridge from infill-wall to infill-wall just the way the makerware does.

I used a screenshot of your attachment to make a "drawing" to show how the Makerware does.
Don`t anybody tell me this is about saving material.
Having to use a high infill-percentage where there is no need most certainly needs
more material than bridging with the 1st top-layer...
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
tipsmiller

+1, I found a similar feature request here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8323

I'd really like to see some improvement on this, it would make a world of difference for using sparse infill and improving print quality without having to modify parts for printing. Additionally, these edges can build up and cause a collision, ruining a print entirely.
S3D-Jake

Thanks for this request. Some of the improvements to where solid layers are being reinforced in the last few releases have been an attempt to help with this issue. I'll continue to keep an eye on this and threads similar to this so our development team can be well informed of how well these cases are being handled by the current version of the software.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
dkightley

This has been an issue for users for OVER FOUR YEARS.

Here's one early thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2309&p=9366&hilit=o ... fill#p9366

There have been many suffering from this deficiency. Another old issue that really needs attention!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
T3nk0

+1
migrated to s3d from cura and was wondering why my prints were having holes in surface layers. surprised to find s3d does not have this feature and that it was requested for many years ago and still doesnt have it.

Return to “Feature Requests”