Omikron

Re: Ironing

rrileypm wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:28 pm It just seems like clicking a box if you want ironing or not wouldn't be too much to ask for...whether the developers think it is useful or not. There is plenty of support for it on this thread.
I don't think it is either, but then again neither is honest, direct, communication about what's going on with product development.

It seems that for the past two years they've been putting all of there eggs in the "save it for V5" basket. Ironing was one of the first reasons I switched to supermerill's fork of Slic3r, formally called Slic3r++ and now called SuperSlicer. It's not as pretty as S3D, and Slic3r's support material generation downright sucks compared to S3D's, but it also has VERY active development and is updated constantly with new features and bugfixes.

Here's hoping a new version of S3D is actually released soon, and that ironing is part of it.
Trickflow

+1 for this.
My top layer from a free slicer looks substantially better than my top layer from S3D. Not short selling S3D I use it over Cura for all the other amazing features. Just want to be able to finally delete Cura :D
maj

I switched from Cura and was generally very satisfied ... until I printed something with a flat platform (see picture). I have tweaked the settings in multiple ways, and nothing compares to the smooth surface I used to print with Cura. There's much to like about S3D, but if I can't reliably produce a smooth, flat surface to print with it, then this is a waste of money and time.

The finished print invariably has shallow ridges and detectable (small) gaps. The transition to/from the platform is a real challenge.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.42.54 PM.png
lilltiger

I see that this was first requested in 2017, why has it not yet been added, I just bought Simplify3D assuming it had "Ironing".
On the front page it says "Improve your print quality with powerful 3D printing software".
And then it lacks the single most important feature of a slicer to improve the top layers of printing, and have not added it for 4years.
Have they stopped adding features?

Can anyone explain why, as this is pretty much a must feature in 2021, sure you can fake it for the top most layer, but it should be all top layers.
Monty3DP

Has the development of Simplify3D stopped? There's been no updates in about 3 years
tenaja

Monty3DP wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:16 am Has the development of Simplify3D stopped? There's been no updates in about 3 years
There have been no announcements or developments lately to contradict that presumption.
gwhite

What's odd is that they just posted an article in their Blog 5 days ago on making a sprinkler:

https://www.simplify3d.com/3d-printing- ... sprinkler/

This does not strike me as the sort of thing a dying company would bother with.

I also sent a bug report to Tech Support a couple weeks back, and they said they would pass it along to the developers. Again, the fact that there are still developers to send bug reports to is encouraging.

I really wish they would stop treating their vanishing base of loyal users like children and let us know what the heck is going on...
bolsoncerrado

What you mentioned could be done by a 1-man company.

Taking S3D to the next upgrade level to compete with the rest of slicers wouldnt probably be possible though, and that's where we (I fear) are now...
Ringrush

Went from Cura to Simplify3d, shocked there was no Ironing.

+1 for ironing!!!!
M_Preggi

1+

Return to “Feature Requests”