ShadowHawk

Re: Ironing

It would be great if we could enable ironing that creates additional tool path above any area that doesn't have another layer directly on top of it. The tool path should be like external infill, but extend all the way to the edge of the outer perimeter.

Parameters to specify should be:
- Print Speed
- Density (controlling how many times the head goes over the same area so to speak)
- Offset angle from the layer below, defaulting to 90 degrees
- Fan Speed
- Retraction before ironing starts
- Possibly extrusion amount (not sure if it makes sense to put down material on this path)

I hope that makes sense, and I really hope Simplify3D will get that feature, I think there are many situations where this could be very helpful.
Is this taken

+9001 for this feature!
bolsoncerrado

Please add it!!
Beegmouse

+1 from me

The Cura one is not perfect. Because the head spends longer time in corners than flat areas, the heat builds up and you get varying surface finish.

It would be an improvement if it could create a path based around minimizing the amount of time the head spends in any one location.
Concentric around the edges, changing to rectilinear as it gets more central so you would not get a dot in the center.

This could also be applied to the top surface of high density layers of support structures (100% infill) The effect would be to improve the surface finish of buttom surfaces. Although I suspect this would only work on soluble support materials and perfectly flat surfaces.
Last edited by Beegmouse on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beegmouse

+1 for this

Also known as Neosanding

Could we also get this as an option applied to the top surface of Support structures? (With 100% infill "Dense Support Stuctures")
It would improve the surface finish for Overhangs in multi material parts where we dissolve supports.
SpacedCowboy

Just to resurrect this thread - I would dearly like to see it happen as well.

Does S3D have a roadmap anywhere ? Is there any visibility into what is planned/implemented/completed ? That would also be useful...
bolsoncerrado

I think the whole S3D project is dead by now....

Cura and Sl1C3R are better every second...and FREE, so no S3D income = no S3D development
S3D-Jake

bolsoncerrado wrote: I think the whole S3D project is dead by now....

Cura and Sl1C3R are better every second...and FREE, so no S3D income = no S3D development
We're here and we're working. I sit a few seats away from our heavily staffed developer area and trust me they are heads down on some exciting stuff! Ironing is something that another user in this exact thread has detailed how to perform. (Twice Actually) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8187#p35240

Have you tried the method(s) linked above?
How did it work for you?
How would you like Simplify3D to provide this sort of functionality?
Are there things you don't like about how this works or how other slicers have provided this to you?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
bolsoncerrado

"How would you like Simplify3D to provide this sort of functionality? "

Apparently, 5 pages long of people requesting it to be implemented is not enough...

Same goes for being able to sort/manage the profiles, gyroid infill, etc.
bolsoncerrado

Aaaand oh BTW, I just learned about a possible v5 Paid upgrade...

I think you're missing the boat at every step you make....

Return to “Feature Requests”