dwallersv

Re: Ironing

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:47 am

dkightley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:23 am
I agree that the S3D developers should not rip off ideas from other slicer developers...but rather have initiative in their own right.
I don't -- not at all.

"Rip off"?!?!?? What a foolish idea.

It doesn't matter who comes up with a good idea for everyone to find it useful. Refusing to implement something that PAYING customers could benefit from out of hubris or pride is just, well, childish and idiotic. This sort of barbarity was, in part, at the heart of the rise of open-source, community based software.

Give appropriate and prominent attribution to those that first thought of it and implemented it. License it if necessary. But don't avoid highly useful features in strong demand because "you didn't invent it". Believe me, there are plenty of people out there without that arrogance that will eat your lunch in competition for customers.

cybrsage

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:53 pm

thesaint7811 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:11 pm
Soooooo...... any update on this or when 5.0 is coming out?
One year and one month after they first mentioned they were making it...since free upgrades are only for a year.

neotko

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:26 am

dwallersv wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:47 am
dkightley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:23 am
I agree that the S3D developers should not rip off ideas from other slicer developers...but rather have initiative in their own right.
I don't -- not at all.

"Rip off"?!?!?? What a foolish idea.

It doesn't matter who comes up with a good idea for everyone to find it useful. Refusing to implement something that PAYING customers could benefit from out of hubris or pride is just, well, childish and idiotic. This sort of barbarity was, in part, at the heart of the rise of open-source, community based software.

Give appropriate and prominent attribution to those that first thought of it and implemented it. License it if necessary. But don't avoid highly useful features in strong demand because "you didn't invent it". Believe me, there are plenty of people out there without that arrogance that will eat your lunch in competition for customers.
As the guy who come up with Ironing I do agree, in fact I did send a few emails to s3d about Neosanding/Ironing and I would love the feature to be a easy thing to set, instead of how it's now that you need to copy the process etcetc.

I have 2-3 more prosproccesing ideas that I use for my shop stuff, some is shared on the ultimaker forum, but maintly what I would like on S3D it's a easy scripting access and specially a gcode viewer that allows to insert FX at some point (start/end) while seeing the result on the gcode viewer. Could open the door for some fantastic fxs

billyd

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:35 am

Actually you can't patent ideas or otherwise legally protect the idea itself. You can only protect the method(s) or components used to implement an idea.

So if S3D wanted to add sanding or leveling or ironing to top surfaces they can as long as their method of coding is original (assuming the prior methods were protected to begin with and they probably aren't).

Ideas are cheap. Actually implementing and producing working methods to put the idea to work is the hard part and the only part that can be legally protected.

Return to “Feature Requests”