rsilvers

[ADDED] Wider extrusion width for first layer

In Slic3r the first layer defaults to a 200% extrusion width. I forgot how nice this was. In Simplify you can change the first layer thickness (only up to 199%, which is not really enough if I am doing 0.1mm layers and want the first one to be 0.3mm), but there is no way to change width.
bubbasnow

Re: Wider extrusion width for first layer...

Could you add another profile and just have it do the first layer?
rsilvers

Yes, but too much effort to have to save and organize a whole new set of profiles for every filament and quality setting that are the same as all of your normal profiles except modified to be for the first layer.
bubbasnow

So, when i have an object and I have 1 complete process configured with my extruders and layer height and stuff. When i add a new process2 it copies all the values from process1.

you said:
In Simplify you can change the first layer thickness (only up to 199%, which is not really enough if I am doing 0.1mm layers and want the first one to be 0.3mm)
in process2 which we just added, you should be able to configure layer height to .3 @ 100% for first layer height, and also control the "width" of these in the "extruder" tab.

unless i am missing something?
rsilvers

Yes, you can do it that way. But this is something that is best to do every time, so one should not have to invoke the multiple process feature to use something this basic. It is something that Slic3r does by default for good reason - first layer adhesion.

This is especially true because the program already has a text box to change first layer height, so it could also have a box right beside that to change first layer extrusion width.
bubbasnow

oh, i see that in slic3r. And also I think its under the setting of "Bed Roughness" in Kisslicer, although its not clear what specifically it tweaks.

are you currently having issues with first layer adhesion? I've been using s3d for a couple weeks now and haven't seen this problem.
Dssguy1

I have been running the first layer at ~70% for the default .1714 layer height with our REP2. Rep2x and my Flashforge Creator with PLA and ABS. I love that I can really jam that first layer into the plate for better adhesion. I used to have to fool the start.gcode of MW to get the same effect. I don't think putting a .3mm layer is what is going to make your parts adhere better. It is really only the surface that is touching the plate that helps it adhere.

All the extra filament you are piling on top isn't even touching the plate and is being pushed onto the plate with less pressure because you are .3mm away from the surface. Putting a thinner, high pressure first layer, at a slow speed has proven to hold parts amazing for me. Just level your bed very close to the nozzle (I use a .09mm feeler gauge) and set the first layer closer and see how that goes.

Report back and let us know if that helped you any.
kobi-s

I work with 0.1 Z offset using a glas plate and spraying hairspray on it.
The bed is heated to 100C.
This works great for ABS with layer thickness down to 0.15.
Plus a speed reduction of min 50%
laird

+1 this request. In particular, when printing with 0.1mm layer height, it's quite beneficial to print with a thicker layer for the first layer, so that your print is not as sensitive to bed leveling or print surface issues. Right now it's limited to 199%, and I'd like to see it go up to 300%. Though I'd prefer to set the first layer hight with an absolute value rather than a scaling factor, since what I actually want is the first layer to be 0.3mm, no matter what the other layer heights are.
cdub

So, I'm on the opposite side of this. I'm running S3D V2.1 and printing on a MakerGear M2. I primarily use the default settings of 70% layer height and 50% speed for the first layer. I set my bed level and zstop such that a 0.15 mm shim fits everywhere and a 0.25 mm shim doesn't fit anywhere.

My parts all come out like the first layer perimeters have been over extruded. When I get the part off the printer they all have sort of a "flange" all around them. I've been printing with no raft because I like the solid surface that comes with printing directly on the kapton tape. However, I would like to turn down my first layer settings so that my part is more dimensionally correct.

I've played a little with the first layer height setting, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I know that if I increase the gap I'll have adhesion problems. What is the right way to reduce the extrusion rate on the first layer?

Return to “Feature Requests”