Harry_D

Add scaling to "Dimensional Adjustments" on "Other" tab.

I've looked through the forum & couldn't find this - so I figured I'd submit this as a new feature request:

- Add "Scale X%" / "Scale Y%" / "Scale Z%" modifiers to "Dimensional Adjustments".

On the button bar menu is a function "Scale models (E)". In the dialog box that opens up is an option "Change scaling". This is perfect for creating a product that is 100% up to dimensions.

Most printers will have minor displacement differences (which can indeed be corrected in the firmware, if you have access to it), caused by various reasons. This scaling tool is very capable to correct these differences in the slicer.

The differences on my printers are so minimal, that mostly I don't need to correct the model: it's only 0,2 to 0,4 mm what I lose here & there, depending on the dimensions - most products aren't bothered by that. And for those where do need the extra accuracy, I implement the scaling factors that I determined for it. But wouldn't it be great, if I could include these scaling factors permanently in the printer's profile?

Such "permanent scaling" modifiers would then need to be separately configurable for each axis.

Thank you. :)

I'm aware that, in the "Other" tab, is a setting in the "Dimensional Adjustments" section, that allows you to add a horizontal size compensation. As I noticed, the value entered here, is then added to *all* dimensions. That's quite different from the result what you'd reach from above scaling option.
dkightley

Re: Add scaling to "Dimensional Adjustments" on "Other" tab.

What you are asking for can already be done in two separate places already within the software.

Firstly, you can set an automatic scaling when ever you import a model into S3D...this is set up in Options on the Tools menu.

Secondly, double click on a model and the window that opens up has the ability to scale .

I can't see why a third method of doing the same thing is needed!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Harry_D

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your response.

The >>double click on a model<< scaling, is the one I was referring to in my post. I'd like to have the ability to put a similar scaling option as this one to be "fixed" on every import.

When you point to the scaling under "general options" from the Tools menu: please correct me, if I'm wrong - but I'm thinking that scaling is referring the unit system (only)? (The Metric or Imperial unit selection).

Am I missing the one you referred to? If so, please advise: I'd like to find it - it would be just what I'm looking for...

Cheers :)

Edit:

Doug, you're right - sorry for missing that - there is a scaling option in the Import Actions portion, lower in the dialog box. Totally missed that, thanks for pointing it out! :D

But this is a general option - as in: equally applicable to ALL machines, is that right? Would it be possible to connect these settings to a specific machine?

Edit 2:

To clarify: I now understand the scaling option at Import Actions to be general to the application, so applicable to ALL printers at every import. That's not the solution I was looking for. I'd be looking for a fixed scaling value, configurable per printer, as each printer will have different requirements for accurate displacements.

Thanks. :)
arhi

would be cool to have on "double click" menu some "presets" so you can save some scaling presets there and name them so in 2-3 clicks you can rescale your objects according to your needs..
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Return to “Feature Requests”