inventabuild

Brim Pillar, Skirt and Ooze Shield For Every Layer

1. Please offer the option for the Brim Pillar to print on every layer for all extruders before the layer starts printing. It is not printing for both extruder # 1 and extruder # 2 on every layer in a dual extruder setup. Perhaps the option to make a separate pillar for each extruder or half layers for each extruder when both are used on the same layer would do the trick.

2. Please offer the option to print the Skirt on every layer where an extruder is used before the layer starts printing. It is not printing for both extruder # 1 and extruder # 2 on every layer where both extruders are used in a dual extruder setup. Perhaps the option to make a separate skirt for each extruder or better yet kissing the previous extruder's loop just enough to make the new extruder's loop stick to it would do the trick.

3. Please offer the option to print the Ooze shield on every layer for all extruders before the layer starts printing. It is not printing for both extruder # 1 and extruder # 2 on every layer where both extruders are used in a dual extruder setup. Perhaps the option to make a separate Ooze shield for each extruder or better yet kissing the previous extruder's loop just enough to make the new extruder's loop stick to it would do the trick.
Edit: Skirts do print on every layer for a dual extruder setup, but they don't print in the correct order...see my post below.
Last edited by inventabuild on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian442

Re: Brim Pillar, Skirt and Ooze Shield For Every Layer

You can do this by setting the skirt extruder to "All Extruders" then choosing how many skirt layers you want to print. That will print a skirt outline with every extruder on every single layer.
inventabuild

Thanks, I don't believe I can do this with the Brim Pillar and Ooze Shield and while the Skirt can do this, the Skirt does not print in the correct order for a dual extruder setup. S3D prints both skirts at the same time one right after the other, then prints the layers one right after the other and I would like to S3D print the skirt for each extruder right before it prints the layer for the respective extruder. It doesn't make any sense for dual extruders to keep switching back and forth so many times like this:

Skirts are currently printed like this:
Warm Ext 1
Print Ext 1 Skirt
Cool Ext 1
Warm Ext 2
Print Ext 2 Skirt
Cool Ext 2
Warm Ext 1
Print Ext 1 Layer
Cool Ext 1
Warm Ext 2
Print Ext 2 Layer

Skirts s/ print like this:
Warm Ext 1
Print Ext 1 Skirt
Print Ext 1 Layer
Cool Ext 1
Warm Ext 2
Print Ext 2 Skirt
Print Ext 2 Layer

This same logic s/ apply to the order in which Brim Pillars and Ooze Shields are printed once S3D gives these tools the ability to print for both extruders on every layer.
inventabuild

I am doing a dual extrusion print now where Skirts is set to All Extruders and S3D is printing the skirts out of order as follows:

Skirt Ext 1
Skirt Ext 2
Part Ext 1

What's the point of printing Ext 2 Skirt right before printing Ext 1 part? That's just going to create threads and specks of material 2 on material 1.

When I add Ooze shield All Extruders the problem is exactly the same. S3D prints everything in the following order:

Skirt Ext 1
Ooze Shield Ext 2
Skirt Ext 2
Part Ext 1

What's the point of printing Ext 2 Ooze Shield and Ext 2 Skirt right before printing Ext 1 part? It's better to print an Ext 1 Ooze shield before Ext 1 prints its layer and this will also have the effect of wiping Ext 2 as Ext 1 Ooze shield is printed. But S3D doesn't give me this option when All Extruders is selected. When I tried tweaking the settings, for example specifying a specific Ext instead of using All Extruders for Skirt and Ooze shield then something else gets printed out of sequence. It's like a dog chasing its tail trying to print these things in the correct order in S3D

IMHO the Skirt/Brim, Prime Pillar and Ooze Shield print order sequences are all messed up for dual extrusion in S3D.
brian442

The ooze shields works fine normally. You seem to want to print every extruder on every layer even when it isn't used. Not sure why you would want to do that, since S3D is already smart enough to not use an extruder until it's needed in the print.

Anyways, it prints the ooze stuff right before a new tool is used for the first time. So if you force a new tool to be used by setting the skirt to "All extruders", then the ooze stuff will be printed before a new tool is used, just as it was if you were printing a new color in your model.

So it sounds like it's working how it should, it's just that you're trying to force it to use every extruder on every layer even when you don't need to
inventabuild

Bottom line is, for dual extrusion S3D does not print any combination of skirt, prime pillar and ooze shield in the correct order so that the new extruder always gets primed properly and the old extruder always gets wiped properly before the new extruder starts printing.

You can single out the Ooze Shield as not needing to ever print both extruders on the same layer, then you need to add skirt or Prime Pillar to prime the new extruder and wipe the old extruder good before starting the new extruder.

And no combination of these 3 tools primes the new extruder and wipes the old extruder in the correct order.
inventabuild

In addition, I suggested when both extruders are printed on the same layer, print the new extruder skirt or ooze shield right up against the side of the old extruder skirt or ooze shield so it latches on, so both extruders don't need to print on every layer if the part does not require it.

Furthermore there's no good reason not to give someone the option of using the Ooze Shield as a combination skirt + ooze shield.
Aha

Inventa, I 100% agree with you. I'm having EXACTLY the same problems you've listed and I'm not seeing any solution!

It's almost like the people responding, like brian, either aren't paying attention to their prints, or they somehow have a miraculous version of s3d where the things you're requesting are implemented properly! I'm starting to run into this in a bunch of threads hunting this down. Someone gives a logical explanation of what s3d is doing wrong for dual extrusion or ooze shield, then someone else says it's already working that way.

What version of s3d are you using? Could it be that there are magical versions where this works properly?
inventabuild

Hello Aha,

I was using v4.0. I spent alot of time trying to find a solution, doing test prints and explaining the problem. It's ashame the issue hasn't been acknowledged by s3d support and fixed.
devinv

Getting exact same error; ooze shield and skirt print out order, or not at all on certain layers. We definitely need a way to force ooze shield on every layer before the current tool is used.

Return to “Feature Requests”