SparseTheory

First layer chamfer

I have seen a couple of other posts requesting a similar feature, but thought that I would suggest a different approach.

I have a glass bed, and have dialed in my prints where there is a slight bit of squish on the first layer to obtain a part that sticks flawlessly without the need for a raft. The side effect of this, is that the edge of the part can have a small "foot", which can easily be trimmed off. For my designs, I design in a chamfer of .4 x.4 mm on the edge that will be laying down on the glass, which works great. The problem is that if I download somebody's else design, it doesn't have that relief.

I have seen other posts asking for this feature, and suggestion to try horizontal compensation for the first couple of layers - however, this approach will not work if there are features such as holes inside the print, as they will be smaller.

My suggestion would be to add a checkbox to enable the removal the outmost perimeter on the first layer (or 2) on the print.
SDX

Re: First layer chamfer

I thought so, too. But there's a much better solution to elephant foots. A well leveled bed and a print surface like BuildTak or PEI. And then your Z-Height will be perfect.
.★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★ SDX ★★★★
.★★★★★★★★★★
rrdavis

SparseTheory wrote:I have seen other posts asking for this feature, and suggestion to try horizontal compensation for the first couple of layers - however, this approach will not work if there are features such as holes inside the print, as they will be smaller.
If you use horizontal size compensation, you would set that option to something like -0.1mm. That will remove 0.1mm of plastic around all the outsides of your part. It will also do the same for the holes, so the holes would actually become BIGGER, not smaller as you suggested.

I've used this exact setting to help with this in the past, so it definitely works well. You can even use the variable settings wizard if you want to have different size compensations for the first few layers.
usagi

SDX wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:52 pm I thought so, too. But there's a much better solution to elephant foots. A well leveled bed and a print surface like BuildTak or PEI. And then your Z-Height will be perfect.
elephants feet are also used to adhere down corners better to help reduce warping due to differential cooling of areas with reduced mass.

i have a perfectly leveled bed but with some large parts, even with super expensive filament and super extensive bed preparation, it is hard to avoid warping of e.g. long thin parts.

elephants feet is one solution.

Return to “Feature Requests”