scoostraw

Raft Above Supports

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:04 am

I would like to be able to have S3D build a raft on top of supports to improve the underside surface quality of the supported part of the print.

Or.. if there is a way to do this manually now I would appreciate knowing how to do it.

Ayres3D

Re: Raft Above Supports

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm

If I understand what you're asking, could you not just add dense supports at 100%?

scoostraw

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:03 am

If I add dense supports @ 100%, isn't that essentially bonding the support to the print?

blackbird2016

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am

Depending on the setup (material, temperatures, fan speed) dense support with 100% could be worth a try.
There still is the upper and lower separation layer (default 1) which keeps both parts from bonding.
The supports certainly will be harder to remove in comparison to just say 70% dense support.
And still it will never be "perfect".

It could be, but then with two extruders and a soluable support material where 100% could be used without separation layer...

ViperZ

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:47 am

The distance between support and model can only be set by the number of layers.
I hope to be able to set by distance(mm).
When printing with a 0.4 mm nozzle, the proper distance between the modeled object and the support is about 0.12 mm.
However, when the PrimaryLayerHeight is 0.1 mm, the support strongly sticks to the
printed matter at Separation Layers = 1.

I am using the VariableSettingWizard to solve this problem.
By changing the PrimaryLayerHeight of the Contact surface between the model and the support, an appropriate separation width is obtained, and the quality of the model is improved.

I would like an option to automate these settings.
  The PrimaryLayerHeight of the contact surface part of the model and the support is automatically changed to the specified value (mm).

Return to “Feature Requests”