RetroDesign3D

Extrusion width control specifically for Generated Support

I would like to be able to boost my extrusion thickness just for the model and reduce it then for the generated supports. So specific extr. thickness for generated supports would be helpful.
maker2

Re: Extrusion width control specifically for Generated Support

This is more important than it may sound to some.

In a one-extruder setup there are parts that you cannot print with a wide extrusion width because the associated support material would be too strong to break away. Been there done that.
S3D-Jake

Hey guys! Thanks for the feature request. You can already accomplish this within Simplify3D. The support tab has an extruder selection drop down menu for normal supports and for dense supports. what you can do is setup an additional extruder controller in the extruder tab with mostly the same extrusion settings but change the extrusion multiplier or width setting to what you want for your supports. Then choose that new extruder controller to create your supports or dense supports as desired.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
dkightley

Having been an S3D user for nearly five years....but having only used single extruder printers,,,,,this is the very first time I have seen mention of setting up a secondary extruder profile for the same extruder to allow supports to be printed using differing parameters!

Being able to print weak supports using this technique sounds like something I need to experiment with.....but,...and there's always a but.....why has this capability not been explained as being feasible by Simplify3D???? This is obviously a by-product of being able to use a second extruder for supports, so soluble supports can be created.....but the ability to be able to point two settings at the same extruder has never been advertised.

This leads me to take the opportunity to raise the old chestnut of user documentation. With a slicer of such complexity of use, there needs to be GOOD documentation of its use....for the new users.....AND some more advanced Hints and Tips for those who have got the basics.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
S3D-Jake

dkightley wrote: .....why has this capability not been explained as being feasible by Simplify3D???? This is obviously a by-product of being able to use a second extruder for supports, so soluble supports can be created.....but the ability to be able to point two settings at the same extruder has never been advertised.

This leads me to take the opportunity to raise the old chestnut of user documentation. With a slicer of such complexity of use, there needs to be GOOD documentation of its use....for the new users.....AND some more advanced Hints and Tips for those who have got the basics.
The interest in a complete user manual has been well expressed by our community and I would like to personally thank you for acknowledging this need once again.

Back to on topic discussion: Using virtual extruder controllers to change extrusion settings for supports is certainly a "Pro User" implementation of an existing feature set and I look forward to hearing any of your feedback on it's use here.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”