jaymcd

Direct Octoprint integration - yes please

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 am

I know this has been posted here before but I would like to re-iterate - it would be great! It is really the only reason I flip to Cura now and again -

carnufex

Re: Direct Octoprint integration - yes please

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 pm

You can use this postprocessing script to send your gcode directly from "Save toolpath to disk"(needs an actual filesystem directory to save to, also):

Code: Select all

curl -k -H "X-Api-Key:YOUR API KEY HERE" -F "select=false" -F "print=false" -F "file=@[output_filepath]" "http://192.168.145.200/api/files/local"
requires the program 'curl'

edited:

arhi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:02 pm

jaymcd wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 am
I know this has been posted here before but I would like to re-iterate - it would be great! It is really the only reason I flip to Cura now and again -
would be nice to have but you have so many alternatives...
- you can use curl directly in your postprocessing script (downside is you get your API key in the g-code)
- you can make a batch/shell script that will be called from postprocessing script that calls curl (same thing only your API key is safe)
- you can use my gcodestat that will calculate you exact print time and upload to octoprint (no curl needed)
- you can setup automatic rsync to octoprint if you are on mac/linux

all of these are workarounds for this feature that work 1/1 without a glitch... yes, cool to have it directly in s3d but even if they do it like that I'd still use the existing system as it allows me to postprocess g-code file (for e.g. I embed bunch of M117 lines in it to have real progress printed on the lcd) before I send it to octoprint
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

maddavo

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am

I want to vote for this feature. Octoprint integration is not just about sending gcode files to the octoprint uploads directory. It is about using the octoprint API to directly connect to octoprint to control the printer. You should be able to bring up Tools -> Machine Control Panel and then connect to the octoprint instance and control everything.

arhi

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:11 pm

maddavo wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am
I want to vote for this feature. Octoprint integration is not just about sending gcode files to the octoprint uploads directory. It is about using the octoprint API to directly connect to octoprint to control the printer. You should be able to bring up Tools -> Machine Control Panel and then connect to the octoprint instance and control everything.

octoprint API is not really meant to be used from something like MCP ... you can start/stop a job from API but is not really meant to be used to send G-Code commands .. you can do JOG and HOME but that's about it... you want to send your file to octoprint, not execute g-code from MCP .. so just a button (like cura or slic3r have) "print with octoprint" or "send to octoprint" is enough... a full octoprint gui is imo something s3d should not waste time on
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)

witr

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:19 pm

FWIW, I would like to have the button "send to Octoprint" as it is in Cura. It's annoying every time I have to save and drag. It may seem petty but after doing it dozens of times a day... enough! The above work-arounds don't make it as simple as that.

arhi

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:56 pm

witr wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:19 pm
The above work-arounds don't make it as simple as that.
how is "click on save button" not as simple as "click on any other button" ?

Return to “Feature Requests”