FRTophu

Filament change between process

Hello, I'm a new user of this software, I would like to know if it's possible to set filament change between two process in the same layer ?
Thanks )
CompoundCarl

Re: Filament change between process

I've done filament changes in a few different ways. If you can setup 2 processes using the start/stop at layer options in the Advanced tab, then you can just print the first process and once it's done change the filament. Then just start printing the second process to complete it. This has worked well for multi color parts and things like that.

Another nice option is using the M0 command in your gcode file (I think this only works for machines that use .gcode). You just put the M0 command wherever you want to pause the print, then when you print that file over USB, it will automatically pause at that location. So it gives you complete control. You can put the M0 line wherever you want, and you can even have more than 1 location for them. You can also use some of their post-processing scripts to automatically insert this line at a given layer (for example, {REPLACE "; layer 15," "M0\n; layer 15,"} )

There's a lot of similar threads on these 2 methods, so hopefully that's enough to get your search started
z3d

sorry to hijack but quick question if i read this correct you are saying setup two process print the 1st process. change filament then print second process? my question is after the 1st stops and you change the filament and then start process 2 how will process 2 know where to start printing exactly on top of the first process? also wont there be jagged edges or extra filament left on the process 1 when the nozzle pulls away?
thanks
wirlybird

How would this work if I am printing from an SD card?
CompoundCarl

z3d wrote:sorry to hijack but quick question if i read this correct you are saying setup two process print the 1st process. change filament then print second process? my question is after the 1st stops and you change the filament and then start process 2 how will process 2 know where to start printing exactly on top of the first process? also wont there be jagged edges or extra filament left on the process 1 when the nozzle pulls away?
thanks
Your second process would have the "start at height" option enabled, so it would know to start at a specific height. They have an article all about this too on their website if you haven't done it before
wirlybird wrote:How would this work if I am printing from an SD card?
Pretty sure M0 only works over USB, so if you want to print from the SD, then you need to find out what the firmware on your printer supports (since S3D won't be controlling things at that point)
wirlybird

Thanks Carl, kind of what I was suspecting!

I wonder if you did it as two separate prints using STOP and START at layer x all other settings the same? Each process would be a print. Stop the first print at layer x then start the second print at layer x. What do you think about that? I may have to try just to see if it could resume at the right spot.
CompoundCarl

Yea, that might work from the SD if they were actually 2 separate files that you printed one after another. Just double-check the preview for the second file to make sure it won't collide with anything! (I've seen people use big starting scripts that move all over the bed and could hit the model by accident)
wirlybird

I'll try it out this weekend just to see if you could stop and start a print ok using two separate prints. Could open some possibilities!
FRTophu

Thanks for your advice, I will try to generate separate gcodes for my two process that I will merge later with the M10 command in it.
Another question, the M10 command is working with Octoprint ?
gearsawe

I know this is an old topic. But things have changed slightly 4.1.1. Vs 4.0 which could affect your work flow with pause.
in 4.0 layers were counted every time there was a layer change or a process change on a layer which allowed a change mid physical layer.. In 4.1 a layer is only counted if there is a physical height change. But there is also the process named noted in the gcode as a comment.

So if you wish to pause at the process name RED i now rename it to RED-pause- then the script replacement is
{REPLACE "-pause-" "-pause-\nG10\nG0 X0 Y0 Z60 F3000\nM0\nG92 E0\n; end pasue code\n"} Also note I am using absolute E steps if I used relative the current position of the filament was lost during the change out process.
You could also code eject and load code which really simplifys things. In my code above I pause and park the head front corner about 60mm above the head.

So now I am not trying to find a layer number then going back and making an edit. and process the file again. Second if you make an edit which could change the number of layer by using the process pause name method will still occur out at the same place you wanted no matter what the layer number.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”