ClintGoss1

Path Spacing

Tue May 01, 2018 8:18 am

Is there a description of how S3D determines the spacing between paths / neighboring extrusions?

There is the Advanced => Overlap profile setting, but that applies only for the junction between perimeters and infill.

Been reading a page on this from the Slic3r Manual (http://manual.slic3r.org/advanced/flow-math ... see the Spacing Paths section about half way down).

Maybe the S3D Path Spacing algorithm is proprietary? (Hmmm ... if that's the case ... it could be reverse-engineered by micro-measuring printed parts or even by some analysis - some dastardly challenging analysis - of the G-code).

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I do think path-spacing is a key element in the interplay between other parameters such as Extrusion Width, Extrusion Multiplier, Nozzle Diameter, etc.
-- Clint Goss

DarthRevan

Re: Path Spacing

Fri May 11, 2018 11:28 am

I've never looked into this but one could quickly figure this out by slicing one of those thin walled cubes on thingiverse. It's a single extrusion so the coordinates of each corner will tell you how far spaced in they will be from the outside edge of what would be the desired size of the part. My assumption would be that for a 20 x 20 cube printed with 0.4mm extrusion width in mind, you'd see that the paths are offset inward 0.2mm from the designed edge of the part. Then The e value should be adjusted for the correct volume of extruded plastic to equal your layer height, extrusion multiplier, and length of the perimeter segment.

Same could be done for infill but then you need to worry about accounting for overlapping with the inner most perimeter and changing from the defaults of 45º, -45º to 0º, 90º so the calculations are a tad bit quicker.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”