gnomegemini

Where to set resolution and shell+layer thickness?

Hi there,
first: I am very very new to 3d printing. I own an anet a8 and print quality with cura was pretty bad and I had to print much things until I found pretty good settings. Then I found simplify3d and it's nice features and bought it yesterday. Now I wanted to start my first print but the instruction of the model to print does not match the settings I can make.

I used the config assistent to swith to anet a8 and get the profile. Also I ticked show advanced settings within process editor and switched to high quality print.

Now I want to print this thing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2121279

Settings required: infill 100% and resolution 0,2mm. Also it says 0,8mm for wall and bottom and top layer. Now my question is where's resolution and how to set wall thickness and layer height? Which settings are these?

Thanks in advance.
biasedturkey

Re: Where to set resolution and shell+layer thickness?

I have a Monoprice Select Mini and as a newbie I'm in the same situation as you are . So I'm too waiting for someone to reply.
airscapes

If you have set up your default profile for your printer then try printing with the default setting. The software looks like it should be simple but it is not. you don't want to change more than one thing at a time without testing.. I made that mistake in the beginning. Looking at the fan duct I would think you should start with something simple first that you could not get good results with using the other software. Once you things dialed in then go the the complicated stuff. Having your bed level, starting height correct and your extrude multiplier correct is the first thing to do if you have not already. If you had issues with Cura it may not be the software as many come hear complaining how cura does this and that soo much better than S3D.

Documentation is lacking but these links are where I will point you.. watch all the videos and read everything.. Some of the docs are for older version and the parameters are not there anymore or there are new ones that are not documented. Also there are bugs and no bugzila server or any way to search for your problem to see if it is not doing something right or just broken due to a bug.
Hope this helps!

Docs https://www.simplify3d.com/support/
Forum https://forum.simplify3d.com/
User created document http://www.breathflute.com/pdf/S3D_SettingsCG.pdf
DarthRevan

gnomegemini wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:32 pm ...Settings required: infill 100% and resolution 0,2mm. Also it says 0,8mm for wall and bottom and top layer. Now my question is where's resolution and how to set wall thickness and layer height? Which settings are these?....
I like the advice you've already received but here is the exact translation you were asking for originally.

Infill 100% = infill percentage or interior fill percentage
Wall Thickness = (Extruder tab > Printing Selected Tool > Extrusion Width) * (Layer tab > Number of perimeters)
Top Thickness = (Layer tab > layer height) * (Layer tab > Number of top solid layers)
Bottom Thickness = (Layer tab > layer height) * (Layer tab > Number of bottom solid layers)
gnomegemini

Many thanks for the answer and sorry for the late reply. Much appreciated and I'll go through the documentation.
doug_scott

Where or what is "resolution" referring to? I am new to this, and my background is not transferable to my new hobby. Add in that my age is working against me. I am looking for information that does not require me to already know the answer, or that uses terms that I need to search for its meaning. I am not complaining, just saying that most of the information i find seems to be written to the experienced user. The post by DarthRevan is in the vein of what I mean. I can follow the format he used. Resolution must be set by a combination of more than one setting, don't know which ones though.
zemlin

Looks like they mean layer thickness.
leckietech

There is such a thing as resolution. It would be how many points there are to complete a line segment. I suppose adjusting this incorrectly for the average 8 bit printer would result in too many points for the printer to handle. From what I can tell, S3D does not support print resolution, cura does, however. It would be really nice to be able to control res as I have a 32bit printer! There has been many times the res is just not quite good enough to print a sharp edge making the slice act all weird in that area. It would be completely addressed if we could tune the print res to not ignore a very small radius which it currently sees these as an absolute sharp corner, not a fillet.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”