Jbc

print sparse infill speed

I would like to choose the speed when using print sparce.
When I print every 2 layers at .2 height my extruder skips every so often.
The only way I know to keep skipping from happening is to slow the print speed down or to infill every layer.

Any workaround or future feature?
jsc

Re: print sparse infill speed

There is an infill speed modifier in the Other tab.
Jbc

Support Structure Underspeed?
Attachments
Infill.png
jsc

Sorry, my bad. I was mis-remembering/thinking of support structure underspeed. There doesn't appear to be any setting corresponding to what you want. I was thinking maybe you could set the default speed slower and use an outline underspeed of >100%, but that doesn't seem to be possible, either.
Jbc

Bummer. Thanks for the thought.

Anyone else use 'Sparse Infill' and have some stepper skipping and want to slow infill down ?
davedfx

Jbc wrote:Bummer. Thanks for the thought.

Anyone else use 'Sparse Infill' and have some stepper skipping and want to slow infill down ?
I have this problem with stepper skipping when infill is fast. But shouldn't the software compensate for the extrusion rate for infill because i have no problems with high speed on brims
Dssguy1

I think the problem is your infill is being extruded at twice the normal volume because you are only doing it every other layer. So if you are running at .3mm layer height, the infill is being pushed out enough to fill a .6mm layer height.

You might try raising your temp a bit to see if you can push that much plastic with your current hotend, nozzle size and extruder setup.
davedfx wrote:
Jbc wrote:Bummer. Thanks for the thought.

I have this problem with stepper skipping when infill is fast. But shouldn't the software compensate for the extrusion rate for infill because i have no problems with high speed on brims
Jbc

If I do raise temps more stringing ensues.
I'm already running 210C printing with PLA on my delta.

I think when running sparse infill a good feature would be having the ability to adjust the speed when printing infill.

Any bumps?
Dssguy1

What machine are you using? If you are using a nozzle smaller than .4mm or a Teflon lined hotend, you may be running into an issue being able to melt .4mm layer of plastic for your infil layer.

What speed are you trying to run?
Jbc

I can print at over 100mm on a Cerberus which is a variant on Johanns Rostock and the second delta I've had in the last 2.5 years. I have this issue running at 80mm.
I know my machine can print at 200mm but Im patient :)
I love this sparse setting but....well you know.
I tried printing at 1.5mm height so the sparse would be 3mm but I still had minor skipping.
I wont try 1mm height as the speed hit for the overall job becomes too slow.

My infill when using sparse is more or less good enough but the skipping is annoying and plastic that dries above the plane Im printing on causes the head to sometimes hit it giving me whiplash when I hear something out of the ordinary.

I am using a .5mm nozzle. Temp is not the issue nor the diameter setting for the filament I'm using.
Everything is perfect till i use the sparse setting.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”