GBuchwitz

Processes vs. Profiles

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi.

I may be thinking incorrectly about the proper use of processes and profiles in Process Settings. I've developed a (bad?) habit of customizing & saving my process settings by associating them with different profiles. Are profiles intended to be changed infrequently (for example, having one profile per printer)... using & saving my various project and material configurations in processes instead?

I haven't noticed any guidance on this subject in the tutorials.

Thanks!

V/r, - guy

airscapes

Re: Processes vs. Profiles

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:48 pm

seems like there are a bunch of ways to do things and no clear best practices..I have been saving factory files for everything.. each tweak I add a new version and list what I changed in the name.. exported gcode reflects the same name. This way if I need to reprint that model in 6 months and don't have the gcode, I can open the factory file and it will work as it did the first time.
For a new model, just remove the old model, add the new and save with the new name.. repeat.. Not ideal but is working for me so far. Getting into this habit will also ensure when you spend 30 minutes setting up multiple process and arranging 2 dozzen items for a sequential print, you can reproduce it without all that work next time..

dkightley

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:42 pm

May I suggest you have a read of this post of mine where I explain how to use processes : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7449&p=32468&hilit= ... ess#p32468
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

rrdavis

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:47 am

Here's the short answer that I usually give to my colleagues:
viewtopic.php?t=9581#p39914

And here's a longer answer I like that someone else gave for a similar question:
viewtopic.php?t=6702#p29082

jaaaystone

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:10 pm

I feel your pain here. I use S3D all the time since 4.0 came out and i STILL DONT understand how any why values are saved into profiles. Sometimes it seems like even if you say "dont save" it save the changes.

I also have noticed that if I have multiple windows open it will save whatever settings where in the last closed file. For example if you have profile A loaded in instance 1 and instance 2 you make changes in instance 2. Click save changes. You then go back to instance 1 which has the same profile loaded from before the changes and close that window. If you now open up a third instance there is a 50/50 shot in regards to which settings will be there.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”