WhiteHare

thin wall detection?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:02 pm

In slic3r there is thin-wall detection, so that thin walls get filled. I don't see that (yet) in simplify3d. How is it done? Here is the problem:
hollow_wall.jpg
It should have 100% infill, not hollow walls.

I'm using a Prusa I3 MK3. This is PETG.
This is the object being printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2812350

wirlybird

Re: thin wall detection?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Try on the last tab to the right, I forget its name. And about half way down on the left the lower drop down where it probably says allow infill change to allow single extrusion and see if it helps.

The other things is to work with the extrusion width to see if increasing a little, like .4 to .45 will help.

WhiteHare

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

wirlybird wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:11 pm
Try on the last tab to the right, I forget its name. And about half way down on the left the lower drop down where it probably says allow infill change to allow single extrusion and see if it helps.

The other things is to work with the extrusion width to see if increasing a little, like .4 to .45 will help.
Thanks. I already had "gap fill", but I had to change it to "allow single extrusion fill", whatever that means. Seems to work.

wirlybird

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Basically in an area where it is too wide for a single extrusion and maybe not wide enough for infill it lets it do a fat extrusion.
I find in some places it works good but in other situations gap fill is better or the single extrusion is not such a good option.
I check things out in the preview and switch back and forth to see which I like better.

airscapes

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:03 pm

When designing a part that will be a cylinder or have thin walls, I find it is best to keep in mind the extrusion width and keep the wall thickness a multiple of the width. This way the single extrude will work if the wall is just one extrusion width wider than your outer + inner shells.. if that makes sense?
I have found also that gap fill can work better at times giving you a stronger part than a single extrude would with a slightly larger space than one extrude width.. Clear as mud ?

One other caveat to this working well is having your starting height Correct and your extrude multiplier correct or you can end up with incomplete lamination between the shells and the single extrude

WhiteHare

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Makes sense, except the clear as mud part.

The problem seems to rear its ugly head a lot when printing files posted by somebody else on thingiverse, and the objective is not to redesign it but just print it off. More often than not, the source files aren't even available. Also, in my case, I'm using a 0.8mm volcano nozzle, which isn't the assumption of most people posting to thingiverse. :roll:

airscapes

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Yup, not plug and play.. but you do have to play around a lot to get stuff to work! :D Use the preview, zoom in and go layer by layer to see what works best on a model by model basis.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”