RoboDLC

Re: Impossible slice?

ururk wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:20 pm I’m going to try a few things tonight - I realize trying to print infill without a perimeter will be a disaster, so at a certain point this will just be an academic excercise. DLC’s suggestion gave me an idea...
I just had an idea. I have this happen with S3D all the time unintentionally. In your drawing, set the wall thickness of the sides that you want open to be too thin to print with your nozzle size. If you are using a .4mm nozzle, S3D sets the layer width to be 0.48mm. If you make your wall .2mm thick, S3D won't print it. Experiment with the "advanced" page "external thin wall" setting to see if one of them will make this trick work.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
ururk

So, not everyone quite understood what I wanted to do - "The Bum" had an accurate description of what I was trying to do. RoboDLC was on the right track... which hinted at a solution:
possible.png
Two parts - a shell with a wall thickness*2 and an inner portion. I simply removed perimeters on the inner portion, and only am printing the perimeters top/bottom layers on the shell.
ururk

It turns out you CAN print infill without perimeters:
IMG_9552.jpg
ururk

I decided to print it (Printrbot Model 3 kit, Mosaic Palette+):

Before:
IMG_9563.jpg
After some cleanup:
IMG_9564.jpg

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”