WhiteHare

Why didn't it generate support when it was clearly needed?

I had support turned on (which you can see in the background *is* being provided for an overhang that hasn't yet printed), but these two openings in the front needed it, and they didn't get it. You can see the sag. What should I have done so that they too would have been supported?
no_support.jpg
I'm using PETG using a volcano 0.8mm nozzle at a 0.2mm layer height, 0.96mm width, on a Prusa I3 MK3. I'm running the current version of Simplify3D.
This is the object being printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2812350

Please advise.
horst.w

Re: Why didn't it generate support when it was clearly needed?

Setting Tab Support / right side Automatic ...

set 2nd option of Typ to; From Build platform only ???

If not, than please attache your factory-file.

Regards
horst.w
GER
WhiteHare

horst.w wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:29 pm Setting Tab Support / right side Automatic ...

set 2nd option of Typ to; From Build platform only ???

If not, than please attache your factory-file.

Regards
horst.w
GER
No, that didn't do it. But changing the support pillar resolution to 1mm--whatever that means--did work. :)
horst.w

Well done!

It is recommended to use 1 - 3 base layer for the "door"-opening if there are adhere-problems.

Regards
H.
Yotabeast505

S3D seems to have trouble placing supports on sharp edges or very thin walls that are facing downward. like the tips of fingers or sword edges. always generate the supports and then look for missing supports and add them in if you need them on corners, walls and sharp points that face the bed.
RoboDLC

WhiteHare wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:09 pm I had support turned on (which you can see in the background *is* being provided for an overhang that hasn't yet printed), but these two openings in the front needed it, and they didn't get it. You can see the sag. What should I have done so that they too would have been supported?
no_support.jpg
I'm using PETG using a volcano 0.8mm nozzle at a 0.2mm layer height, 0.96mm width, on a Prusa I3 MK3. I'm running the current version of Simplify3D.
This is the object being printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2812350

Please advise.

S3D thinks that your printer can bridge those openings. There are a couple of ways that you can deal with this.
1) Manually add a couple of support columns so your bridging will work to cross those open spaces.
2) Do some combination of [override fan speed to 100% for bridging/increase bridging speed/reduce bridging flow]
I forget what tabs these settings are: speed, other, advanced. In one or more of those pages.
3) Change your support settings to reduce the span that S3D will call a bridge.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”