burro

Solid infill for transparent object ??

Hi -- just getting started with 3d printing, and currently evaluating Simplify3d.

(So far not so good -- I've tried it on only one object -- made it weaker and took just as long to print!)

Would like to know how to specify total (solid) infill -- in the S3d settings, it looks as though that is not an option.

My goal is to get the best (totally) transparent solid object possible, using transparent ABS, transparent PLA, or transparent PETG.

Any tips?

Thank you
wirlybird

Re: Solid infill for transparent object ??

On the Infill tab set infill to 100%. The fill pattern can have an effect. Rectilinear is probably the one to use.
slipstick

You might also make so many outlines that it fills it up. That might give a more uniform interior.
dkightley

I've only dabbled in printing with clear filament....but I think you may need to be prepared that you may not be able to get true transparency when printing....more like opaque!

To get the best, I would suggest printing slightly hotter and slightly slower than normal.....and possibly with the extrusion multiplier tweaked up a bit. These changes hopefully will try and reduce any included air pockets and hot weld adjacent extrusions together better.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
blackbird2016

Just a thought....
Maybe increasing the amount of bottom and top layers covering the whole object might be better then playing with infill settings.
This really will be 100% ifill....
MichaelHerron

Transparent probably wont be as clear as you want, but here is what i do to maximize %T...

1. Use a big nozzle--.6 or .8mm and thick layers.
2. Hot and slow (unless you start to bubble, then decrease heat)
3. Rectilinear infill... ONLY 1 DIRECTION.
zemlin

blackbird2016 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:05 pm Just a thought....
Maybe increasing the amount of bottom and top layers covering the whole object might be better then playing with infill settings.
This really will be 100% ifill....
I agree 100%. Rather than trying 100% infill just set the number of bottom layers to 9999.
I don't have S3D in front of me, but I think there are angles for the solid infill layers - using only one angle would result in all the layers laying down in the same direction which would help with transparency.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”